TA test turns blue not red

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
Well, I've decided to close my pool this year after last year being such a bear. I'm now trying to get my water balanced in order to do that. I had to be out of town for about 3 weeks so testing didn't get done. When I did to it, my numbers were the most out of whack they've ever been.

FC 30
CC 0
T/A ?
CYA 100
pH 8.2

I immediately turned off the SWG since it looks to be working overtime! I say ? on T/A because the test turns blue, not red; in fact, it went from blue to yellow. So I took this to mean that there was none and put in the required amount of baking soda to bring it to 80. Then about an hour later I put 1 1/2 cups of acid in to bring down the pH.

Two days go by and I retest (yesterday). The FC has come down to 21 but the T/A still turns blue...no yellow any more though. The pH is still 8.2. I'm getting ready to go out and put another cup and a half of acid to lower the pH. Can anyone tell me what the problem is on the T/A? The pool is being closed tomorrow. Is this going to be a problem if it doesn't get resolved?

Thanks for your help!

Karen

With the TA test, you are just looking for a color change to determine the level. The blue-yellow colors are what you get with high chlorine levels.

midtngal said:
...So if I just get my pH level down I should be good to go right?

With an FC of 30, you will get a false high reading on your pH. Your pH test is once again reliable once your FC falls to below 10 or so. Let your FC come down before doing anything else.

Well, I'm closing my pool tomorrow so will it be okay to just leave it be until the Spring??
The short answer is "Yes."

Your pH is almost surely in the 7's which is fine and your chlorine is high enough that you should open to a clean pool. I am assuming the pool water is visually clean now.

duraleigh said:
I am assuming the pool water is visually clean now.

Dave, yes, the water is crystal clear. I hope you are right about opening to clear water. I've had such great luck in having no algae issues in the 3 years that I've had the pool, it would be a bummer to have to battle that in the Spring.

Well, I'm all closed up for the winter...how depressing. :( Thanks for your help once again.......

Karen

Hi Ted! :wave: Guess I have no choice but to follow orders! :lol: The cover is on so I guess I need to fire up the "Frozen concoction that helps me hang on" machine! :cheers:

I'll see if I can be a little more present this year..........seeings as I don't have a pool to worry about, I'm sure I will have nothing to do! :wink:

You guys are the best!
Karen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.