PH Testing

You'd need to get the 8682 at $75 to have something that is at least as accurate as the phenol red test (actually more accurate, according to their specs). The 8680 at +/- 0.3 is not good enough while the 8681 +/- 0.2 is marginal -- usually you can figure out the pH from the phenol red test to within +/- 0.1 with its in-between readings on the K-2006 (every 0.2 pH units). You'll need to do calibration periodically using the buffer solutions (probably the 7 and 10 since the pH will usually be above 7). This ain't cheap, but if you want something with a digital display, it seems OK.

There's also the Hach Pocket Pal pH tester with an accuracy of +/- 0.1 pH units and a cost of around $57.

However, if you are just testing pool water, you don't need a wide-range tester and could instead use something like the LaMotte ColorQ though that does a lot more than pH and costs more as well.

Most of the folks on here will use and advocate for the use of drop-based tests over electronic testers. They are cheap, easy to use, don't ever need calibrating, and give results that are easy to confirm if need be.

Ditto, plus all you are truly in need of is to ensure you're water is in the 7.2-7.8 range. I just make sure that if the Phenol Red test is closer to 7.8 I add some acid to bring it down to around 7.4 or so :goodjob:

Thanks everyone for the replies, sometimes it seems that I have trouble reading the color test. I had a trouble free pool all season so I guess why fix what isn't broken

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.