Trichlor pucks & toilets

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Got the hang of the pool maintenance and know the evils of pucks due to CYA. So what do I do with the tablets I inherited from previous owner? Can I just drop them in the toilet tank and use it as disinfectant? They seem similar to 2000 Flushes Blue and other similar products, and I probably don't have to worry about CYA buildup since the water is guaranteed to be refreshed on every flush.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2000 Flushes® Bleach has this MSDS that shows that the tablets are mostly DCDMH which is the chlorine analogue to bromine tabs. The pH of a 1% solution is 3.6 so these are quite acidic. Trichlor tabs have this MSDS where the pH of a 1% solution is 2.7-2.9 so is about 10 times as acidic. The Trichlor may dissolve too quickly as well -- the 2000 Flushes® product apparently lasts for up to 4 months whereas Trichlor will usually dissolve in a week. It is the very slow rate of dissolving of 2000 Flushes® that probably keeps it from making the water too chlorinated or too acidic.

Most new toilets come with a warning now which states that the warranty is voided if you use cleaning tablets inside the tank so even those are considered hazardous to the toilet let alone trichlor pucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.