Ball valve to slow down flow rate of spa spillover

I have a 1hp Tristar pump for circulation.
It produces a waterfall from my spa that is a bit too much - I would prefer a more gentle cascade.

I was thinking of plumbing in a ball valve in the spa return so that I can restrict the flow.

Will this cause any problems anywhere? I'm particularly concerned about the pump.

Thank you!

I don't know how your plumbing is done, but it seems to me you should just be able to send more water to the pool returns to accomplish that. Do you have a 3-way valve to select spa or pool returns?

Throttling pump output is probably not the way you want to go. Far better to just send the extra water through the pool returns.

John is correct. You need to "relocate" the water via a valve, not constrict the flow and put back pressure on the pump to diminish the flow at the waterfall. A ball valve would only cause a water "back up" and unwanted pressure for the pump. The three way valve, allowing some water to the spa and the rest to the pool is the correct application.

I understand what you are saying and that makes sense.

My valves are only two way I suppose - there are two valves, one that controls flow to the spa returns, and one that controls flow to the pool returns. They are controlled electronically by my automation system, so it seems like they are either ON or OFF.

If there was a way to make them not turn fully when I put it in spillover mode, that would be perfect, but will these solenoid controlled valves
operate like that? Is there a setting to make them open half way? They are Jandy valves with Goldline controllers.

Thank you!

Pictured below is the valve that controls where the water is being returned.
When it is pointed to the right, as in the picture, the water is returned to the pool.
When it is pointed to the left, the water is returned to the spa (which will give me the spillover when drawing from the pool).

This return valve is controlled by the automation system -it is a 24 volt solenoid controller sitting right on top of the valve.

This electronic control makes the valve either point all the way to the left or all the way to the right.

It sounds like what I need is for it to stop half-way when in spillover mode.

I still want it to swing all the way left however when in spa mode.

So there are 3 settings:
1) pool setting - valve is all the way right
2) spa setting - valve is all the way left
3) spillover - valve is halfway

Is this what you guys mean by a "3-way valve"? ;-)

pump2.jpg

You need to install a spa bypass with one more three way valve. On the pool return side, at the "elbow" replace this with a three way valve(non-auto type) add pipe so you bypass the existing auto three way valve above it and connect with a "T" fitting where the elbow is at the spa return. Then you can adjust flow manually with the new three way and always leave it in the pool mode. Only in spa mode when you use the spa. You might need to add another check valve in the "bypass" so your checked to the spa.

I think that is right.

Hope that helps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could also just set the cam in the actuator so that it does not completely close off the spa when in pool mode. In addition, you have the ability to set the cam stop for the desired flow.

True but I was assuming that once the desired spillover look was achieved, then there would be no need to change it again. Plus it saves replumbing. :party:

The owner's manual for the GVA-24 acutator you have is here. It gives you instructions for accessing & setting the cams. Keep in mind that your spillover will vary with the overall flow rate of your pump, so when the filter gets dirty or baskets get full of leaves/debris, the spillover will be reduced.

I was thinking about this more and do not believe setting the cam stop will solve my problem.

I actually need three settings:
pool - suction from pool and 100% return to pool
spa - suction from spa and 100% return to spa - my heater is set to come on when I put it in spa mode
spillover - suction from pool and 50% return to spa/50%return to pool - this will allow me to get a gentler cascade for a waterfall

It sounds like if I reset the cam to a new position, then I will get a nice spillover, but when I go to spa mode it will actually drain the spa (suck from spa, return to pool/spa).

Am I misunderstanding something?

Slade

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.