New Filter Needed, Dogs Allowed

Jun 9, 2008
N. Atlanta burbs
Hey all,

My five year old Jacuzzi Triplex is going away. In addition to not being able to buy the cartridges anymore, I've broken the air bleed off and the large O ring has been repaired temporarily with super glue. I know I can buy a conversion kit, but the cost to do so is about the same as a new filter...

So, here is the pool. In-ground, about 34,000 gallons, two skimmers, two floor drains, no spa, gas heater (hardly used), Jacuzzi 1hp main pump, 1/2 hp booster Polaris pump (Polaris 280 cleaner), and Jacuzzi TriPlex cart filter (480 sq ft version). Although not relevant, pool has a diving board and is 8.5 ft deep at deepest point. Right now I have three way valves connecting the skimmers individually, and the main drains are on the same valve. 2 inch piping.

Although this pool was built for my family, my dogs (2 yellow labs) can't stay out of it. I am cleaning cartridges about every 2 months or so.

I'm interested in experience in using DE with dogs / dog hair. Although it doesn't bother us much, I gotta believe some people are completely turned off when they see dog hair in the pool water. Would DE improve this? Would a larger surface area improve this? Would a larger pump with larger surface area improve this?

Recommendations and stories are welcome!

Thanks.

Mac

IMO, sand is the way to go. Sand is far more tolerant of a high debris load than DE or cartridge filters. Get a big one and you'll be good.

If you can't control when the dogs access the pool, you might see benefit in having a variable speed pump that allows you to run 24/7 to keep the skimmers working. I'd be inclined to consider a larger pump that you can kick-up to high when the dogs swim, then slow down to save energy when the water is cleaner.

First Off, Merry Christmas to All!

Regarding above posts, I've decided that yes a Sand Filter is probably the best way forward.

My question is how large to go. I've looked and like the Hayward Pro Series Plus, with the six position valve.
So with about 32000 gallons, would I be nuts to use the big one? It turns over 62000 every 8 hours which I realize is overkill, but am wondering if the increase in turnover will help keep pool cleaner.

Also considering a variable speed pump. I don't shut down pool in winter, so the "freeze detector" keeps pump running on cold days, and I think using a variable speed I could turn that way down... I can get the variable speed controller, and a programmable controller for timer, speed control, etc... I'm in that business... Thoughts???

Really looking for reactions to "am I going overboard" ....

Thanks All!

Mac

I'd be opposed to DE for dog hair. I just tore mine apart, and backflushing doesn't do as much as it should. And I don't have dog hair to contend with. With that matted mess, I shudder to think of the mess. Sand or cartridge would be my vote. Good thing you agree.

I don't think you can go overboard on filter size. I don't know anything about calculating flow/head loss so I can't comment on the pump.

I'm not positive which filter you mean but that figures to a 130gpm capacity which is just about perfect for a 1 HP pump on a pool that size.

Mas985 has done some careful studies on the payback time for a VS pump and I seem to remember that the payback is minimal for a larger pool like yours. A 2-speed might make more sense.

The important point to remember is relate your pump's output to the filter max rated suggestion and then get a filter about 25-30% larger than the max gpm of the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.