2 ft crack in bottom of Hayward S-240 (parts or replacement)

SkiAR

Nov 29, 2010
We went on a 7 day trip and did not think to shut off the pump. Apparently the base of my 1992 Hayward S-240 (SX240AA1) developed a 2 ft crack and dumped the entire load of sand in the pool shed! As far as I can tell there is no easy replacement part for under $350 and I think they are now discontinued. Any ideas? Is there a new filter with the same connections so I do not have to replace the master valve, or does anyone have one that has a top leak and kept the bottom? Just looking for options.

Parts manual
http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/replace_ ... ay2009.pdf

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum :lol:

It sounds like a new filter is your best bet. Virtually any filter should have the same connections for the multi-port valve although you may have to modify the plumbing to get the the intake and exit pipes to align. Most websites will give height above the ground for the connections so you should be able to find something very close or perhaps not modify anything at all.

Trying to salvage a cracked filter is pretty much a lost cause.....sorry, but it sounds like a new one is in your future. :cry:

You can replace the entire filter for less than the cost to repair a damaged tank. :wink:

Take a look at the Hayward pro series sand filter S244S. It will include a new 6 way valve.

When shopping on-line, be sure to compare the total cost including truck freight for the filter.

Thanks a bunch, I settled on a little overkill with the S270T2. My pool was run with 2" and well I thought I could smooth out some pressure. I see a little artistic pipe work in my future.

You will never regret going with a larger filter. Your entire system will benefit and you will benefit by not having to backwash as much.....good choice.

Not that it matters, but the pump should not have been capable of cracking your filter.....it cannot produce enough pressure. Did you speak with Hayward?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.