Just received confirmation of Simpool PH order

susa

Oct 31, 2010
Deep South
They will ship directly from Italy to USA.

eba793.jpg

Cost is 181 Euros and can be paid via bank transfer.

all my USA equipment is 230/240 VAC and runs on 60 Hz which this system also allows.

in fact, almost everything in my house is running 240v and is wired as such, including all my heatpumps for AC which are all inverter based compressors and blowers.

> can cause timers to run fast on an analog timer.

I have no timers in my system since the IntelliFlow VF contains it's own programming module and runs all automation on multiple daily schedules once I enable the SWCG system (presently the pump runs 24 hours/day at 95 watts).

Simpool PH arrived, now on to installing it.

It's very compact and contains all the needed materials, drill bit, saddle clamps (what appears to be a perfect fit over a 2" PVC pipe).

Will have to dismantle the 240v electric moulded connection and install my own hardwire version as of course no homes in USA will have a plug-in adapter that matches the dual-prong EU style.

The PH probe has a small piece of paper, informing that the "life expectancy" of the probe is 12-18 months. Guess I will order a spare part once this is all setup and running.

A few things to consider.
(1) That's the typical life span of a pH probe. You may get a little more out of it being in a clean process stream.
(2) You don't want to order a replacement probe yet because they have a finite shelf life so it'll just be sitting there wasting away.
(3) You will want to calibrate the unit every couple of months. At least untill you know the slope drift over time of the unit.

Thank you, appreciate the tip on not ordering replacement probe too soon.

I also noticed the installation manual cautions AGAINST use of hydrochloric acid (..might damage pump..) and that the manual recommends to dilute with 5 liters (bit over 1 US gallon) water with 1 litre (~ 1 US quart) acid. Wonder what solution they use in Europe ?

Will have to modify an old chlorine container or perhaps something I can purchase from Home Depot/Lowes to become the new storage tank and do the 5-to-1 dilution method.

yes, it's the Home Depot MA that I usually buy anyway, so I will just continue to use it in the automation, undiluted and just drill a hole for delivery through the cap of the bottle for the feeding tube. will have to figure out a way to minimize the outgassing of the acid vapour and placement on pad, which is outside, so as to minimize any hazards to other equipment. Perhaps a second level containment of the Home Depot MA bottle inside another container, will see what works best.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stenner pump company makes a container and/or pump assembly that is pretty easy to install and uses a peristaltic pump that looks very similar to the pump you purchased and is designed specifically for MA solution. It is available in several sizes 7.5 gal - 30 gal. They recommend the same 5 to 1 ratio. I know thru the pool industry you can purchase larger containers of MA - 30 gal I think. Most commercial sites use these larger containers. You could probably find an empty at the same place & use the empty to mix your solution for dispensing. On a side note - I'm sure you'll rinse it well, but my skin crawls when you mention using an old chlorine bucket to mix your acid solution in... :shock:

I have been running 20% hydrochloric acid through my pump without issue but I do change my tubes after 2 seasons to try and avoid a split pipe and pumping acid into my pump room.
The manufacturers state santoprene with acid has little or no effect but with the peristaltic pump squeezing the pipe they do split sometimes.

Ref: http://www.uswatersystems.com/shop/product_images/Chemical_Resistance_Guide.pdf

Richard you should be able to purchase a very similar item from SEKO pumps who I know have an American office.

>Stenner pump company makes a container and/or pump assembly that is pretty easy to install and uses a peristaltic pump that looks very similar...

does their system (..or Seko..) support full automation as does this unit and at a cost around 200 dollars ? all the units I've seen on the USA side did not provide a total solution such as this unit for so low of a price. even Pentair automation was over 1k and I wanted to experiment with something more modest before dropping another large bill... and no worries about using unapproved old containers, I will use something brand new from Home Depot, likely to get started I simply use the existing muriatic acid container they provide as long as I can get a vapour lock through the cap for the suction line.

teapot said:
No problems Scott, the simpool and seko pumps have dual voltage and dual frequency power supplies.
I just wanted to correct my earlier post that the unit is dual voltage, it is in fact 230-240 50-60Hz only.

The SEKO version IS dual voltage 110v & 220-240v 50-60Hz, sorry for any confusion caused.

dynamicPHfromSEKO.jpg

Although not in this catalogue the full range of automation equipment can be seen HERE

how does a peristaltic pump initialize itself once connected for the first time? does the pump engage, syphoning the MA fluid into the tube automatically or does the tube need to be primed before energizing pump?

also pondered over the 24mm hole into the PCV line before filter... if at any time in the future I wanted to change to another type of system or remove it completely, are there adapter clamps or would I have to install a whole new section of pipe to "heal the hole" ?

sorted out all the electrical connections, created 240v feed to a switch on outside wall and powerfeed to box, all that works fine.

only question now is, what are these 5 distance spacers ? there are 3 that have approximately the inner diameter of the outer diameter of sensor probe and 2 that would appear to be meant for the saddle clamp screws.

if the sensor probe touches the bottom of the PVC, perhaps the first 3 are meant to raise it up? those 3 are not even listed in the parts inventory.[attachment=0:2179neqz]shuko.jpg[/attachment:2179neqz]

Attachments

• shuko.jpg
    shuko.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 514
Installed, Calibrated and working fine. Pump engaged first time about 5 minutes after I turned on power. Attached 240v power via a cutoff switch (30amp, double pole, 110v--277v).

Measured PH at 7.4 initially, will see if I need to recalibrate in 24 hours.[attachment=0:1wtiqkl3]sim2.jpg[/attachment:1wtiqkl3][attachment=1:1wtiqkl3]sim1.jpg[/attachment:1wtiqkl3]

Attachments

• sim1.jpg
    sim1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 500
  • sim2.jpg
    sim2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 498

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.