Best pump brands?

idjit

Nov 9, 2010
anyone know of build quality, recommend between Pentair Whisperflo 1.5HP full rated and Sta-Rite Maxepro 2hp uprated?? Been told the basket (everything other than motor) was much higher quality on the Sta-Rite but seperately I've heard best pumps are Jandy stealth (which I'm not going to get) then Pentair Whisperflo THEN Sta-Rite Max-e-pro

Thanks

I need a two speed pump - will NOT be upgrading to new electronics
I need to know build quality of the plastic/composite pieces of the whisperflo versus max-e-pro
Been told whisperflo is better than max-e-pro AND been told that whisperflo is thin, subject to pinhole leaks and need for replacement while the max-e-pro is much higher quality and won't have problems
BOTH can't be right *smile*...............*GRIMACE*
The only thing that might sway me from one of the two mentioned is if there is another that has one of the newer motors that has an energy efficient low speed so instead of using say 3.5amp on low it uses 1.5 for same HP

Pentair, Jandy and Hayward are all comparable on the quality of the "plastic" pieces. There are very few problems with this part on any of the major brands. The problems are most often in the electric motor or shaft seal on the pumps, as these are the working parts. You'll find that much like auto makers, whomever is selling one brand tends to talk down the other brands - just like Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc., which is why you're getting conflicting information. All brands have two speed motors available. All these brands purchase the electric motor from the same mfg - AO Smith/Century. I've worked on all of them and the front housing is not where the problems usually occur. Pentair's Whisperflow, Hayward TriStar, StaRite DynaPro or MaxePro (btw, Starite is owned by Pentair) are the ones I'd recommend, unless you want to drop major bucks on a Variable Speed pump such as Pentair's IntelliFlow or Hayward's EcoStar.

thanks,
I'm ordering a whisperflo wfds-6 from a1pool now
whenever I need a new motor I'll probably replace with Impower or whatever is the current equivalent rare earth magnet variable than can be controlled with existing two speed controllers.

From Chemgeeks post on his intelliflow he gets the fllowing:
"the IntelliFlo would be at around 32 GPM and around 460 Watts. At 1460 RPM, it's 24 GPM and 255 Watts. At 1185 RPM, it's 15 GPM and 155 Watts".
So at the low setting he is acheiving your target of around 1.5 amps I beleive.

teapot said:
From Chemgeeks post on his intelliflow he gets the fllowing:
"the IntelliFlo would be at around 32 GPM and around 460 Watts. At 1460 RPM, it's 24 GPM and 255 Watts. At 1185 RPM, it's 15 GPM and 155 Watts".
So at the low setting he is acheiving your target of around 1.5 amps I beleive.

Absolutely can't use Intelliflo or ecopump or ecostar --- REQUIRE electronics upgrade that costs more to much, much more than the pump and I have no need at all for them other than the requirement for the actual pump
So I must go with a single (out for economic reasons) dual (what I'm doing) or a replacement variable later that can be controlled with a single or dual speed existing controller (I can buy a new controller like I have that does single or dual and has an air switch for the attached spa for under $50... that's a LITTLE different that $1000-$3000+ for new electronics)

Anyone ever tried a small VF drive controller for a standard motor? Like one of the Baldor Micro-Drives? In the past I've installed them on industrial pumps, but has anyone ever tried one on a single-phase pool pump? You should be able to get variable speed for ~500 bucks by only buying a control unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.