New pool - hot tub was not built right - HELP!!!!

zz6601

Nov 27, 2010
My pool and spa were completed....finally. The problem is that there is not venturi system added to the hot tub, just a 1.5hp blower. So all I have is a heated smaller pool with 6 pool returns hooked up to a blower. I live in DFW area, so it is all gunite. Is there anything I can do to get the venturi added with out demo/rebuild of a new hot tub? Please Help. Is it common or OK not to have it?

Ohh, the builder admitted mistake, but said they realized it too late in the construction phase to fix....very mad.

What are my options??????

Welcome to TFP!

Hopefully, you haven't handed over the final payment yet. I would ascertain from them just how they plan to make this right. It would be in their best interest to do so and I am sure that they realize this as well.

Any pic of the build? Pre gunite but plumbed is the view we need. This really sounds more like a lack of understanding than a major screw-up.

Blowers aren't connected to pool returns unless they used spa jets for pool returns. They are connected to a parallel loop in the spa which normally has spa jets that accommodate both air and water lines. Why do you think that the pool and spar are plumbed differently?

Scott

The spa was plumbed with the parallel pipes. There is air in the hot tub, but only when the blower is turned on. When the blower is off, the jets act just like a pool return. When the blower is off, you can't even tell unless you are in the tub that the jets are working. As a matter of fact, the actual jets are same eyeball jets as the pool. The screw into a 1.5 inch threaded pvc pipe. The jets were supposed to be waterway if that makes a difference.

I think I will have call a few builders in the area and ask them how they build their spas.

What did the builder say the mistake was? Did he leave the spa jets out? If this is the case, they can install them now, but will have to remove part of the spa wall to do so. It's not easy, but can be done without tearing out the spa. I've replaced cracked spa jets encased in gunite spa walls, so I know it can be done.

The problem is that the spa does not have a venturi, only a blower. So I either have a hot bath tub or I can't old a conversation because the blower is on. If it is common to only have a blower, maybe I am over reacting. At this point the builder offered me an option to put 2 spa jets in, but can only do 2 because of something....The ones they offered were just screw ins to the pvc pipe. They still will not have air unless the blower is on. Or I could put a smaller blower in, but that will be just as loud.

I am just a bit mad because I spent alot of money and I was lied to and was deceived. They knew they messed up and continued with the construction. I actually have it in an email. The only reason I knew about it was because I brought it up. I thought there were jets that popped onto the eyeball jets.

When filtering the pool, the valve that controls return flow is usually cracked open to allow the spa to get freshly chlorinated/filtered water when the pool is running. This is normal. The spa would not be getting enough water to draw air.

If the return flow is directed entirely to the spa, the spa might be able to draw air from the loop, depending on the distance from the blower and the line size and the jets used. Run the spa in either spillover or spa mode. Turn on the blower for a minute and turn it off. If the air stops almost immediately and totally, the distance to the blower's opening and the air loop is too great and water will re-flood the air loop. If the air continues but at a slower rate than with the blower on, you have your venturi.

The eyeballs for the jets used in your spa are more eye candy for a finished appearance. The jet is set deeper in the spa wall. Some jet bodies are designed to allow different inserts. Yours don't sound like this style of jet.

I take it that you didn't select the jets but rather the builder did.

As I alluded to, I suspect that what we have is a lack of communication WRT expectations. I don't think we have a construction snafu. If you have something in email that suggests something other than what was contracted for, then you might have an issue but so far, I haven't seen any evidence that this is the case.

Scott

Scott

Thanks for the replies...

When I turn off the blower, all air stops completely in a matter of seconds, there is not any more air flow.

I agree about the jet bodies being in the concrete. That is what they left out. According to the manufacturer, Waterway, all guinite valve bodies have venturi valves. So by having the valve bodies, there would have been venturi also.

I guess I am stuck with normal pool jets instead of spa jets with adjustable air. Is is not terrible to in, just not what I was expecting.

The venturi is in the jet body body. It draws it air from the air loop. If the venturi effect doesn't suck air with the blower off, it's due to the combined reluctance of the pipe diameters, fittings, distance to the air access opening involved. They certainly are not pool returns, just very basic and simple spa jets. Often, these are the most reliable types since there is almost nothing to break.

If the air loop is not encased in gunite (but most times it is), an air valve near the spa edge could be added that might allow the jets to naturally aspirate due to the reduction of plumbing distances providing a new entrance for air to enter. It would cost you extra to make the change from the contracted design.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
zz6601, ultimately, it's none of my bizness, but I'm curious why you seem to be settling for what appears to be less than you paid for? It sounds as though your spa was not built as it should have been. Your builder admitted the mistake, which usually gives you the leverage to either have him make it right, or receive a refund off your contract price - not for the cost of the parts - but for the value to your pool. I hate to see you end up without the working spa - clearly something you wanted or you wouldn't have purchased it.

I agree. I was soliciting feedback to make sure I had correct information. I reviewed the contract and it stated hydrotherapy jets. It does not actually state the waterway jets...this was a conversation the day I signed the contract in the showroom where I was shown what I would get.

I do not think I want to tear down what I have now, because I have the feeling it would be a 6 month project out of spite. The PB is still insisting I got the right thing...but I have caught him lying before. At this point, I believe I will ask him to come to my house and have him present me options and see where it goes. Unfortunately he has all money already, so I do not have any leverage beside negative publicity. If I would have caught this sooner, I would not have paid him. I thought they just needed to add a different jet to it, found out about all this venturi stuff when I was researching why my spa was different.

I understand. As I said before, I'm not a fan of lawsuits, but things like this have a negative impact on you, the consumer, as well as the industry as a whole. You paid for a product and didn't get full value promised. He can make it right, but may drag his feet until you force the issue. The cost of defending a lawsuit will likely be more than the cost of the repair, so it's in his best interest to correct the mistake. It's not pleasant, and will take more time, but as it stands now, you'll be reminded of this every time you want to use your spa. I hope you end up happy with the result, whichever direction you choose. Good Luck!

I am confused. In my spa the pipe is 1.5 inch and they have valve body inside up in about 4"

From there a hex shape tube that screws into the pipe, and then the waterway jet screws into the fitting.

Are you saying that the builder ONLY installed PVC or Flex pipe in the spa and DID NOT install those Junction type connectors
that mix the air and water?

Without the blower it is just like having 6-7 more returns *More or less, then with the blower on-- you get a lot more power and bubbles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.