Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tear repair- boys!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Tear repair- boys!!!!

My son hit our BRAND NEW Intek 18' agp with the lawnmower. We have a 12 inch straight tear about 3 inchs from the bottom. Should I just go ahead and try to fix it with the repair kit that came with the pool -- and does anybody have any handy-dandy tips I can benefit from before I try. Obviously there's hardly any water left in the pool now so a dry repair won't be a problem. For example -- is it better to repair from the inside? outside? patch both sides? Any thoughts would be appreciated as my 6 year old daughter is heartbroken. THANK YOU.
    20*40 Liner 2'-8' deep, Spill Over SPA, Electric Cover, Jandy Purelink (Aquapure & PDA), Hayward SP2610x15 (1.5HP Single Speed), Hayward H300 (Millavolt)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Char,

I don't have enough experience with Intex pools to adivse but there's lot's of folks here that do and will be along soon to help. Welcome to the forum. It's a great place for no-nonsense advice from some folks who really understand about pools.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    If you can get at both sides then patching on both sides is best. Given the length of the cut, you will probably want some extra overlap between the liner and the patch to get as much strength as you can.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Tear repair

Thanks for the responses. I have the tear out of water so it's getting nice and dry. I will patch both sides but the outside is going to be easier. I think I'll do the outside today and inside tomorrow and see if it's holding on Monday. Might as well try because if the patch doesn't work I'm not storing it all winter!
    20*40 Liner 2'-8' deep, Spill Over SPA, Electric Cover, Jandy Purelink (Aquapure & PDA), Hayward SP2610x15 (1.5HP Single Speed), Hayward H300 (Millavolt)

5. Back To Top    #5

FIXED!

I can't believe it, the pool is fixed! Patched both sides and it's been holding water for 24hrs now. Not even a drip. I'm so relieved. If it lasts just a couple more summers I'll be satisfied.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: FIXED!

Quote Originally Posted by Charbie
    Not even a drip. I'm so relieved.
    Probably not as much as your son

Glad to hear you were able to fix it.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB