Jandy Aqua Pure service code 170-shut it down?

gflame

Nov 20, 2010
Hi--First time poster and hoping for a quick response. I have an Aqua Pure salt water chlorinator model APURE 1400. I am not a technical person so I keep pool folks in business :). Last night, the chlorinator started beeping every few minutes. The service light was on with the code 170. According to my manual that means "Possible Front board service condition or unit not
correctly wired to 120 VAC". I have contacted my pool guy but they cannot come check it out until after Thanksgiving. My dilemma is this. I am leaving today to go out of town for a week. The unit didn't smell like something was burning and the filter still works and goes on at my programmed times. I am not sure if I should turn the power off for the week and wait til I return and get it serviced. I would be risking a pretty dirty pool upon my return but it's only in the 50's this time of year. Or should I leave it on, hope the house doesn't burn down and spare my neighbors the all night beeping of the service alarm that won't shut off. I should note that the panel on the until does not respond to any buttons I press leading me to believe there's some electrical problem. At this point I just want to get advice on whether to shut it down for the week or not. I really appreciate it as we leave tonight! Thank you!

Yes, turn off the power on the Aquapure until you return next week.
The pump/filter timer(s) can operate as normal.
Add some plain household bleach to the water before you leave and it should be fine until you return. Chlorine loss will be minimal with the lower water temperatures.
How much bleach?
http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Trouble code 170 is front board not receiving adequate voltage from the back board. This could be a faulty transformer or issues with the back board. But you can deal with those issues when you return.

Have a safe Holiday.

Thanks so much for the quick response. Now is when my non-technical skills show. How do I turn off the aqua pure while leaving the filter and timer active to keep the pump running? I have gone to the aqua pure electrical box. There's 3 on off switches--one says filter/heater, the second says blower and the third says GFI (?). When I turn off the GFI switch the whole thing powers down and nothing works. When I turn off the filter/heater switch the power stays on but obviously the filter pump does not work. How do you turn off the aqua pure alone so the filter still timers on? Thank for dealing with my basic questions and for your help...

To silence the alarm:
Press the salinity button and hold it for 5 seconds. The unit will beep when it is pressed and then again after 5 seconds, this will silence the alarm for 24 hours or until the unit is turned off and on again.

Turn the AquaPure off by pressing the A (down arrow) and setting CHLORINE PRODUCTION to 00%.

Thank you again. The buttons are not responding when pressed which could be part of the reason the unit is saying it needs service. I thought there might be a way to just turn off the whole generator from the main control box without affecting the water pumping, but it seems that the filter pump and the generator work in sync and I cannot figure out how to turn one off without the other. Looks like I will just leave the whole thing off for the week and hope for the the best when I return. Thank you for responding so quickly...

Turn the pump (electricity) off. Unscrew the four Phillips head screws out, and remove the front case. Careful there is a ribbon cable attached to the rest of the unit. Find where the ribbon connects to the back board and disconnect (un plug) from the back board. Reattach the front cover. Do not over tighten those four screws! Unit won't beep any more.

Hello
I'm having the same error with my system.

When I found the 170 error in my system, I changed the black board and also I noticed that the cable of the sensor was in a bad condition, so i cut the cable and I made a joint connection with a new cable. I did not change the sensor. I turned on the system and It's indicated cell reverse but the warming 170 is still there.
Could you please tell me how did you silence the 170 alarm. Thanks

Pool Clown, I disconnected the ribbon from the back board, but it looks like that cuts the ALL the power from the aquapure. Is there any way to leave it on and just stop the beeping?

- - - Updated - - -

olgaluna, did you end up silencing the 170 alarm? If so, how? When I push the salinity button for 5 seconds as instructed, it just keeps on beeping. I unplugged the ribbon from the back board as Pool Clown advised, and the beeping stopped, but it cut the power off to the whole unit. I'm hoping that since you just posted recently, you are still around and have a solution...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.