How do I use the solar cover?

Caliglas

In The Industry
Nov 14, 2010
Hello all. First post here. Just came across this site doing a search on pool solar covers. Looks like a great site for pool information. I tile pools to keep bread on the table.
I'm wondering how you guys that use the bubble solar pool covers roll these things up. Do you have a roller/rack that you roll the cover in with or do you just fold it up and put it on the poolside while you swim? I have a 10X41 rectangle pool with a 7X7 beach entry on one end to the side. I am getting a cover today. I'm going to cut a 10X41 and a separate 7X7. Pulling a 10X41 cover off the pool seems like it would be quite a chore to pull off Maybe not. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks,

I also have a solar cover but because my pool is a kideny shape (wider at one end with large curves), a roller device was not practical I have found thru trial and error, that if I fold in the edges to make a more squared floating cover, I can get in the pool and roll the cover onto itself from the shallow end like rolling a large throw rug. I then lift the rolled cover onto the concrete deck and cover it with an opaque platic tarp (like a paint tarp from Home Depot). It takes me 5 minutes to do this, with the only down side is that I have to get in the pool to roll it up. I can put it back in from the concrete deck.

I have been doing this for 5 seasons with the same solar cover and it is just now starting to crack on the seams

If you have a reactangle pool, they do sell roller devices that allow you to roll the solor cover onto the roller

Welcome to TFP Jerry.

There are some of us that have a roller and some that don't. It's a personal preference.

I would recommend a reel for a cover that size. I know on my pool it makes it a lot easier to don and doff and as a side benefit it also makes it easier to store it in the shop when not using it.

My pool cover for my kidney shaped pool is rolled onto a standard pool roller, its older and made completely out of Aluminum with caster wheels all around. My cover is made from three pieces of heavy cover material and is heat sealed together to make it one piece. Too attach the cover to the reel is four nylon straps bolted to the roller long enough to let the cover lay on the waters surface, they attach to the cover with plastic clamps with plastic bolts.

I can do it myself but its easiest with two people since the kidney shape means there is a narrow section in the middle where it won't self feed and float over, I even have a section that covers the stair entrance that flips out. I imagine you can have you cover made into one piece at a pool supply store somewhere near you, its very common up here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.