Placing hot tub disconnect 25 ft. from tub

op999

Nov 4, 2009
I'm in the process of installing line for a tub, and while I hear that the disconnect must not be placed less than 4-5 feet away, I don't hear much over how far it can be placed.

Since the tub will sit on the corner of an enclosed patio, I'm thinking of placing the disconnect on the wall -- about 25 feet away.

It will be visible from the tub.

I don't really care to place the box on a stand/concrete block or anything of the sort (unless it's strongly recommended). The only one who will use the tub is me, and I know where the disconnect is, and I'm the only one who will work on the tub (hopefully not much!).

While I've been trying to stick to code (burying 18 inches, not using Romex underground, etc), I'm really hoping that installing the disconnect inside the enclosed patio is more of a recommendation rather than a stern warning.

Thoughts?

I'm in Orlando, FL.

Bama Rambler said:
Bump this later on when I have time to look it up and I'll give you what I think it says.

Is this a permanent or portable tub?

It's a permanent. It has one 4 HP motor and balboa elements, and it's a 4-person. Picked it up for $200. Not bad! (knock on wood)

Thanks!

If you look at NEC article 680.41, Emergency Switch for Spas and Hot Tubs.

It states that it needs to be no less than 5 ft away, adjacent to, and within sight of the tub. BUT then it also says (This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings). ***2008 code***

So there's your answer!

The town I live in requires the disconnect to be no less than 5 ft and no more than 50 ft and within sight of the tub. Also requires a 110V GFI receptacle at least 6 ft away (to discourage extension cords that might permit an appliance falling in the tub or pool).

I was told the 50 ft requirement is about the distance an electrician working on equipment can throw a wrench at someone about to turn on the power. (The inspector's tongue may have been in his cheek.)

I mounted a 50A GFI breaker ca. 25 ft away over my underground run.

Curmudgeon

350 gal Infinity using BBB

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.