Anyone know anything about gas dryers?

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Another Saturday, another thing to be repaired! I am having issues with my natural gas dryer. Sometimes it will not heat up, other times it will heat up and then stop heating sometime during the drying cycle. I have pulled the front access panel and I can see the igniter glowing red, and sometimes a few seconds later the gas will flow and it will burn with a blue flame with touches of orange. Other times the igniter glows red but I can hear a raspy hiss, not like a high pressure hiss, and the dryer does not light. I do not smell gas during this time. It has been doing this for the last week. When I initially cleaned out the lint chute and dryer vent it worked o.k. for about 4 days then started acting up again. I have cleaned out the lint chute as far as I can reach from both ends and vacuumed out the area behind the front access panel. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? The dryer is about 20 years old and otherwise is in good condition.

I think I fixed it, running a test load now. Took the front access panel off again and hit the electronic stuff with compressed air and got a lot of lint out that the vacuum couldn't reach. Took off the rear access panel and cleaned out even more, hit those fuses and electronics with compressed air. Put everything back together,put on a new exhaust duct and fired it up. Got a nice, robust flame instead of the puny one I've seen all week. I should know in about 20 more minutes if this did the trick. I hope so. I just got a new pool pump for my birthday, I don't want to have to get a new dryer for Christmas!

I don't have any advice. I just want you to know... I feel your pain! I just replaced a gas hot water tank and it has me sore all over this close to the Holidays. :(

I just hope nothing else goes because if it does, I'm sunk and Christmas will not be! I'm sure it will come but there won't be pressies under the tree much less a tree! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ohm_Boy. I have done a lot of research today and came to the same conclusion about the coils. I still have the documentation from when I bought the dryer so it was easy to look up the parts. Sears wanted $79.00 + $15.00 shipping for both coils. I found them new on Amazon for around $12.00 including expedited shipping.

This was the first totally free Saturday I had for a while and I was bummed that I spent most of it on this dryer. What really bugs me is that there are precious few places to buy parts anymore, and they either close early or are not open on Saturdays. Hopefully I will have my new coils by Wednesday.

It has been a learning experience and I did find 37 cents and two DS styluses. Whoo hoo!

Just curious, have you tried to run it without the lint vent off (hose) to outside? New dryers can detect when lint exhaust and hose is clogged due to pressure and shutdown. Try taking the hose off and run it.

A dirty vent may or may not be your problem. Regardless I purchased the lint eater (at lowes) and I am very pleased with the purchase. I use my cyclone blower (or you can use a shop vac) with this device. Basically it is an attachment for an electric drill that has a spinning brush and extension rods to get the entire length of the vent, the blower blows the loosened debris out of the vent or you can use a shop vac to suck it up. In the past I used my cyclone vac to blow out the vent and some came out, but the brushes literally make it look like new after the cleaning. I used it at my mother in-laws and her vent (about 15 foot long) which was never cleaned (about 6 years) had about a pillow case worth of lint stuck inside. Not only a fire hazard but it supposedly lowers drying times when everything is cleaned out. On a side note you may want to purchase an extra set of extension rods as I needed one more than what was provided with the kit to get to the end of my vent.

salp said:
Just curious, have you tried to run it without the lint vent off (hose) to outside? New dryers can detect when lint exhaust and hose is clogged due to pressure and shutdown. Try taking the hose off and run it.
Yes I did try to run it without the vent hooked up. My old vent duct was a mylar/foil duct and it was dusty but not clogged. It helped at first but after 1 load the same problems occurred.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I usually find parts at pcappliancerepair or repairclinic online.
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com
http://www.repairclinic.com/

I always find expertise at the appliance repair section of the FixitForum http://mikemerrittmotors.yuku.com/forums/9

Jeff (AppliGuy), who does this in his spare time, does appliance repair just outside of Toronto, and is always willing to help.
He's actually active on a lot of appliance repair boards, but this one is his. I am happy to send people his way for appliance help.

And a clogged vent is always a good start if you are having drying issues. Most dryers have a fusible thermal 'overtemp' sensor which will open and shut down if the vent gets overly clogged, in that the temperature will get too high in the dryer. It has to be replaced to repair, but will blow again if the source of the overtemp (ie., clog) is not cleared.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.