New pump installed, is it strong enough

May 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
I previously had 2 hp motor that came with the pool when we bought the house. It was an old Centurion.

Old Pump:

photo18t.jpg

New Pump label:

photo17vz.jpg

Setup:

All my specs below are accurate except for the pump, which i haven't updated to the 1.5 pump yet.

Is this enough pump to get the job done? I was at work when the install was done and checked when i got home and noticed it was only 1.5. Plan on calling them tomorrow to ask about that and if they replaced the seal between the motor, because i read that is a must when replacing motors. I have used this company for other pool issues and they have always done a good job, but i thought i would seek advice on here as well.

Thanks in advance!

While that 1½hp pump will be fine on a 21K gal pool, it's more about the pump model than the pump size. Different pumps have different flow rates at different heads. As I said, any 1½ hp pump is gonna be fine unless you're running solar 3 stories high.

It's likely that your pump was oversized a bit to begin with. If they reduced the size of the impeller to match the 1.5hp motor, it should be fine. If they left the original impeller in place, it could be a problem. I'd have them replace one or the other as the motor size should match the impeller size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.