New house, with pool

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
I ended up here when I got an idea in my head that some day, in the not too distant future, I'd like to upgrade my pool area from the sort of plain concrete pool deck that I have currently, to something that looks more like some of the pictures I've seen of "oasis" areas. I'm currently in no hurry to go tearing up the decking (not sure I would need to do that even) and I haven't the slightest clue about anything pool related....yet.

A little of what I know at this point.

1. We purchased the house a month ago and had the pool closed two days later....so much for enjoying that.
2. I'm located in south central Kentucky.
3. The pool is salt water.
4. I'm 95% sure the pool has a vinyl liner with either metal or plastic coping around the edge.
5. It's an "athletic style" pool, 3ft. to 6ft. to 3ft. (ish).
6. It has a heater.
7. There is an under water, "robot" with a catch net attached.
8. There are several hand held devices for cleaning the pool stored at the house also.

I'm waiting on a call back from the pool builder to get some more information about the construction of the pool. I'll post more information as I know it and try to keep the questions I have in the correct areas of the forum. :-D

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 323
Welcome to TFP :wave: and nice house/pool :goodjob:

IMO, I think for half the cost of ripping up the existing deck, you can get that "tropical" look with some nice landscaping. I was expecting to see something a little less pretty when scrolling down to the pic, but said "gosh...looks fine to me" That said I am a plain type of guy. Some nice grasses as well as a palm or two would make a tremendous difference if weather conditions permit...just my two cents.

i too was expecting to see a run down POS lol... looks darn good to me!
Some new landscape, and concrete paint will do wonders. You have a great canvas to start from.

Its funny, anytime i hear somone say kentucky i think, Hillbillys, farms, & county folk. Not a nice home with a sweet inground pool :)

Then again, when i tell ppl im from the " jersey shore" they probably think im a tanned up guido, who fist pumps while fixing pools, and drinks yaggerbombs at the bar with my broski's. HAHA!

welcome to TFP!!!

Thanks for the compliments. I even wear shoes...most of the time. :) I realize that it looks fine just the way it is, but I was think something more along the lines of a "natural" look with stone surfaces and such. May not work well with the existing brick though. I'm no designer.

After doing a little reading I did realize that I have a "pressure" automatic cleaner, not a robot. Learned something already, LOL.

I also just realized that I use "quotes" a lot.

For starters, something like what Rdrunner has around their pool is what I'm referring to.

file.php

Are those coping stones around the edge just on top of what I already have as my concrete decking? It looks like the rounded metal or plastic coping is there, under the stone. The particular type of stone is not exactly what I'm talking about but the look is. Then from there, back to the edge of my existing concrete or further, away from the pool, doing some type of stone work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome & congratualtions on the fine looking pool Joshs!

Agree with the others: look at landscaping, maybe concrete stain/paint/texturing. Should be no reason to rip the old stuff out. IMHO the landscaping is what really 'makes' the pool. Lots of pictures on this forum in the Showoff section.

Cheers

Looks like a nice setup - heater, circulation pump, salt water system, and a booster pump for your pressure pool cleaner.

Suggest read pool school, get a water test kit, and start maintaining it! Don't let it get away from you over the winter.
Cheers

Since you seem to be wanting to do something with the "appearance" of the pool area, I agree that landscaping can make a huge difference. You might contact a true landscape designer in your area - not just a guy like me who can plant bushes somewhere... The good ones can make it look awesome rather than just ordinary. Congratulations on a nice place & good luck as you start your project next spring!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.