Can IntelliChlor IC40 be turned on without Any Salt in Pool?

susa

Oct 31, 2010
Deep South
installer tells me Ok to connect power to Pentair IntelliChlor Control & IC40 Cell and just circulate water. unit will run through diagnosis and detect no salt in water and will just disconnect itself, he says.

since pool surface is brand new, planned on dropping salt into pool end of December/early January to allow it to cure.

Pentair makes a pass through tube for a few bucks (they call it something to do with winterizing, whatever that is :wink: ), it could be used instead of just allowing water to pass through with the potential for some "yucky" stuff (highly technical term) to cling to the units chlorine producing blades.

Passing the newly plastered pool water that is now being tweaked through the cell might not be the best idea, as well as it might not do it a thing.

What I would recommend to you is that if you want to size the section of PVC that must eventually be replaced by the cell, just use some straight pvc with union ends instead of the "Pentair pass through whatever" which is essentially just that.

The only thing that would cause any real damage to the cell could be plaster dust. If they brush vac'd the pool already though, and with the cell in place, then that ship has sailed! It is really just water now, more or less what you will have after you add the salt.

I like the bypass piece and install them initially, then go back and thread in the salt cell itself 30-60 days later when I add the salt. The bypass unit is like $40.00-cheap insurance on a several hundred dollar (my cost) salt cell!

yes, pool was brushed and acid washed and have continued daily brushing, it ran on old system filter for 10 days before I had the all Pentair system installed.

the IntelliFlow VF-3050 is really an amazing pump, running it now with program on @24 hours, using only 153 watts of power and it circulates water really well, totally silent too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.