Backwash DE filter at closing or wait until spring?

gworrel

Jul 24, 2007
I am not sure there is a right answer to this but I am interested in other thoughts.

I usually would backwash and re-load DE just before closing but I notice that I lose some DE when draining the filter. So I am thinking maybe I will just wait until spring to backwash and reload the fresh DE at that time. I know this may go against some people's sensibilities to leave a filter dirty all winter but other than that is there any good reason to backwash before winter? Thanks.

I'd backwash it at closing. No reason I can think of to add more DE until you open in the spring. The water at closing is free since you have to drain some water out of the pool anyway

JohnL, Why do you think it would be more likely to damage the DE grids if they are left dirty as opposed to clean? I plan to drain the filter tank either way. Do the filter grids really need to be cleaned every year? I haven't done this in the past. I guess I am looking for the most efficient way to do things. I don't want to pull the DE tank apart unless I absolutely need to. I don't want to backwash any more often than necessary.

JohnT, This makes sense to me. I always thought it was bad to run the filter without DE but if backwashed as the last step before closing then DE added as the first step in the spring then it should be fine. All the dirt drying on the filter grids over the winter might make them tougher to clear out so backwash when closing, add DE when opening. Makes sense to me.

Just for background: I am not new to this stuff but have lived with a 20k gallon IG gunite pool for about 30 years. As many times as I have closed the pool, I still feel like I am re-inventing the wheel every time I do it so I am always looking for simpler easier methods. I have used a salt water chlorinator for the last two seasons which was the best thing I ever added. I am located in Detroit Michigan. We have been below freezing but not by much. I have all the leaves cleaned up so procrastinating time is over. Thanks.

As part of the closing, I backwash my DE filter. I then open the top, remove the grid assembly, drain the filter, wash off the grids with a hose, soak the grid assembly in a dilute solution of dish washing detergent, wash off the grids again with a hose, and finally reassemble the filter but leave the band off so the o-ring is not compressed all winter.

gworrel - If simply backwashing and draining works has worked for the last 30 years, I would stay with that. The process I do is what the pool builder recommended when the pool was built and the same as what Exchemist described. Whether it's any better or will allow the grids to last longer, I can't say. I've only had the pool for 5 years.

ITs best to pull the filter apart, clean and degrease the grids once the pool is closed. If possible, keep the grids in a garage over the winter. Dont keep them in a shed mice and other critters will chew them up. If you dont have a garage just put them back into the filter tank once they have dried.

Most homeowners cant be bothered taking care of their equipment so there are tons of de filters in my area that sit dirty all winter, year after year. I do not agree with this method but ive never seen one break. Slowly but surely one by one they are having me clean the filters at the closing. OPening it up and showing them how disgusting it is usually changes their mind :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.