Rusted Skimmer screws

May 19, 2010
Evansville, IN
Our Salt water pool is only 4 months old. The screws that hold the skimmer on the side of the pool are already rusting and bleeding down the side. I just talked to our Pool installer this morning and they said it was the "metals" in the water that are causing the rust. They pretend there is nothing they can do. I think they are using the wrong type of screws. What is the truth? What can I do?

I'm having the same issue on our newly built pool. The PB said they will bring out a cover plate so we couldn't see the screw heads. I'm not sure, but that doesn't seem to solve the issue, just mask it. :hammer:

I'll probably just change them out myself next spring.

I've ranted ( :rant: ) on this in the past. Are the skimmers Hayward?

Apparently there's some bad stainless screws out there :x Good quality stainless steel screws will fix the issue. If there's rust on the faceplate a little rubbing with vitamin C (ascorbic acid) will remove the stain :)

By no means simply cover the faceplate without first replacing the inferior quality screws :hammer:

I've usually seen the light screws rust out first so take a look at them too. Also, SR Smith ladders seem to have been cursed with inferior stainless washers - check those as well :roll:

Make no mistake, the salt shows the poor quality ss more quickly than a pool who's salinity is below ~ 1500ppm.

When you replace the screws check the old ones with a magnet. SS typically has a very very weak attraction to magnets [depending on what grade]. Sometimes you can barely pick up a SS screw with a rare earth magnet. In other words it shouldn't look like this picture of my magnet stuck to non-stainless steel step screws. "Hey look they are rotting away! who would of thought! lol"

Attachments

• non_ss_screws.jpg
    non_ss_screws.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 271

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since this thread already exists and seems to be my same situation keep it together, if I am wrong sorry.

Basically the same thing is happening to me, pool hasn't been up more than a month and the skimmer screws are exhibiting signs of rust. My chemistry isn't perfect right now but I believe within reason, I also have a Hayward skimmer and used the screws it came with.

Is there anything else besides SS screws I should be looking for? I have an Atlas bolt near me so I may check and see if they have what I need, otherwise mcmaster.com is where I will look.

Amazing that nine years after the original post this is still an issue! Same thing here, brand new Hayward pool and screws above the water line on skimmers and safety rope anchors are rusting. Any way to know what size screws to order?

Amazing that nine years after the original post this is still an issue! Same thing here, brand new Hayward pool and screws above the water line on skimmers and safety rope anchors are rusting. Any way to know what size screws to order?

I still haven't ordered mine but I do have some extra screws from them to size up. Whenever I get out to HD to get the sizing I will let you know. I looked at their manuals and parts guides but it only lists the screw kit and not the actual screw sizes. The only ones that rusted on mine were below the waterline. Funny thing too they didn't give me enough of the right screw style, I got a mix of pan head and regular screws but not enough of either to have the same screw type around the whole faceplate.

I'll tell all of you helpful folks that it is not a machine screw. So don't look for American or metric threads. I have same problem. It is a screw best described as like a sheet metal screw but with a blunt end. It is tapered threads. It also has a "pitch" that is very coarse - opposite of fine tread. Obviously designed to make u buy from Haywood before advent of salt water pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.