Leaving Pool Open for the Next 4 to 5 Weeks - NJ

Oct 25, 2010
I live in NJ and just had the concrete poured around our in ground pool. I have been filtering and vacuuming the pool since September. The builder wanted us to wait until April to have the concrete poured, but I wanted to get it done. Now, I have to wait for the decking to cure before we can drill the holes for the cover.

My question is regarding keeping the water maintained for the next four weeks and the risks. Right now everything is fine the water is in good condition. I am running the filter from 1 am to 5 am and then from Noon to 6 pm, daily. I just want to make sure nothing freezes. I suspect the weather should cooperate for us, but just wanted to get opinions - wondering if there is anything that I should keep in mind to make sure our pool is in good condition for the spring.

Welcome to TFP!!

I'd switch the run times down to 1, from 8 pm to 8 am. This is probably my being overcautious but I'd like to see the pump running whenever there is a chance of freezing weather. (to be quite honest, it would take a period of over 4 hours with the air temps < 28* for there to be problems - but it's a new pool and 'better safe than sorry'!!)

If you have a solar cover, that would keep most of the debris out of the pool and make cleaning easier.

FYI - it takes 27 days for concrete to reach it's 'full' cure, maybe you can get the cover installed a couple weeks sooner that you thought :cheers:

I'm sorry the pool is closed but glad :mrgreen: that you don't have to worry about it until next spring.

I hope that getting the pool shut down and buttoned up went without a hitch.

Have a great winter, I hope to still see you around, even if most of the pools are closed. :)

Thanks for the replies, the pool is scheduled to be winterized and closed on 12/20. I have maintained the water and the filter is running regularly, vacuumed about once a week. Vacuuming has been tough on the cold days, otherwise no big deal. I am looking forward to it being covered, so I don't have to worry about it. Last week the filter ran for 72 hours due to freeze protection. Chances are I may have actually run the filter more this winter than I would during the summer. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.