Electronic pH Testers

I have no experience with them but from past posts on the forum, they are seldom worth the cost.

Even the most expensive ones need re-calibration regularly to be effective and the cheapest ones, if I remember, start around $80-100.

Thanks Dave... I know about the expense and have bought one before that is of low quality and cheap. It didn't last very long and was unreliable. What I want is a unit that is maybe less than $250 but is accurate and lasts for a while. Anybody using one that they like.

I carry the one marketed by Goldline, although it is mfg. by another company. While test strips tend to be pretty accurate, I feel that the potential for contamination is high. With reasonable care and occasional calibration, the electronic meters are pretty reliable. I've been carrying mine for 2 years, and it still works fine. However, if it's going to flop around in your toolbox with hammers, pliers, etc., it probably won't last long. I like mine because it's "instant", but the price trade-off isn't worth it to many folks. Not saying anyone's right or wrong, it's all personal preference.

I have the Hanna Instruments HI 98121 pH/ORP/Temperature Tester.
Available on Amazon for $89.
I have used it 3 years so far and no problems.
Still on its original battery.

However,.......

1. I recalibrate it using 2 point calibration solutions every 2-3 months.
2. Without fail I NEVER let the pH glass bulb dry out and always store it with cap on after placing a drop of pH storage solution (potassium based) inside the cap.
3. ORP works fine, but is SLOW....takes 5 minutes to get a reasonable reading. pH is much faster.
4. Temperature is integrated and displayed and used to temperature compensate the measurements.
5. I wipe the bulb off a couple times a year with a paper towel.
6. I rinse the bulb sometimes after use in R.O. water....but sometimes I don't and just replace it back into its storage solution.

So to maintain this meter you need:
1. Two calibration solutions.
2. Storage solutions.
3. Keep the bulb wet and clean.

I have found the meter to be overall reliable. If you let your bulb dry out and are unable to recondition it, then the bulb is replaceable.

The meter is completely water proof. Everytime I use it, I just take the cap off, turn it on and toss it in the pool. I let it float for 5 minutes and take my readings and I am done. Sometimes I let it float in my SPA and watch the ozone run the ORP up :)

Good luck... Lee

learthur said:
1. I recalibrate it using 2 point calibration solutions every 2-3 months.

What do you mean by 2 point calibration. Are you just calibrating to one pH (say 7.0), then calibrating to another (say 4.0)?

learthur said:
1. Two calibration solutions.

What are you using for calibration solutions and where do you buy them from?

Thanks for your help

I buy mine from Ebay or Amazon. You should use 7 & 10 for calibrating pool water testers. Some meters allow 3 point sloping but most cheaper ones only have a 2 point slope. You can buy the rinse but it's not needed. Plain tap water is fine.

I use an electronic pH meter. I posted about it here. I have found that I can go two to three weeks between calibrations and still remain within the accuracy of the meter. I find it much more convenient then the drop pH test.

My particular meter uses pH 4.01 and 7.0 to calibrate with.

I would recommend the storage solution. It has a pH around 4 also but more importantly has potassium which helps keep the electrolyte inside the bulb in place. Otherwise you might get a lot of accuracy drift and have to recalibrate more often.

Solutions can be found at Hydroponic Growers supply stores if there is one in your area. Amazon also I think.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.