Do I need to redo my winterizing? Advice needed today.

Mar 9, 2009
Midwest
This is my first time having to close my pool by myself. I should have checked here before I worked on it, but I didn't. I was trying to remember my friend's advice and I seem to have done some things wrong.

I am not worried about getting it perfect right now, but temps are supposed to be low tonight, and I am worried about freezing tonight. Please tell me if I need to redo something or do something right away?

What I did:
I lowered the water level below the two return jets.
I turned my pump to Waste and ran it that way briefly in case that helped.
I sucked the water out of the skimmer, so it appeared dry.
I unscrewed the glass and sucked water out of there until it appeared dry.
I tried to stick the shop vac into the lower pipe and tried to blow air into the pipe.
I screwed caps onto the two return jets.
I put a rubber stopper into the one pipe I see in the bottom of the skimmer.
(I was told I am not supposed to use the stopper, but for today it should be okay.)
I unscrewed that cap to let the sand filter drain out.
I put my sand filter setting onto Winter.
I took the pressure gauge and glass inside.
I poured 2 gallons of RV antifreeze into that part that normally gets covered by glass.

However, I was reading the sticky by Jason Lion and I am not sure I blew out part of the lines where I was supposed to? Or was it enough that I could see the skimmer and other part looking dry? I never blew air into that skimmer pipe.

Also I am not sure I poured the antifreeze into the right part... will it travel where it's supposed to from where I poured it?

If I did it wrong, what should be done now? Or will it survive the winter with what I did? I just don't want costly repairs later!

In my location, we do get temps below 10F occasionally.

I do plan to put foam in the skimmer and in the pool itself. And pour anti freeze into the skimmer -- I have not done that part and I should probably rush to do it this evening, right?

I am not sure if I need to unscrew this other glass looking part near the top of the sand filter. I read a post about procedures with sand filters, but I am overwhelmed at the moment.

Thank you so much.

The only thing I have to add is that there may/should be a drain cap that needs to be removed either on the pump itself or the filter basket housing directly in front of it.

WoodyP is talking about 2 screw-in plugs on the pump, not the filter. There should be a 1/4 inch plug on the side and maybe another one in the front down at the bottom to dain water from behind the impeller and to drian water from the pump basket in front.

While mentioning the pump, make sure if you have a heater or a chemical feeder that the drain plugs are removed off of those too. I like to remove all the drain plugs and store them in the pump basket so that I always know where they are. As for the sight glass, that's a good idea to bring inside. Just remember where you keep everything.

Did you add any closing chemicals to the pool?

swimu said:
While mentioning the pump, make sure if you have a heater or a chemical feeder that the drain plugs are removed off of those too. Did you add any closing chemicals to the pool?

Some heaters dont have drain plugs. Specifically, some heat pumps do not.
TFP doesnt really recommend any "closing chemicals" except bleach and MAYBE some poly 60, and even thats optional.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.