Kreepy Krauly owners....what does THIS part do?

chriszke

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
It's called a "wing set".

wingset.jpg

I was given a Kreepy by a neighbor that was moving out of state.

While it works fine, a few weeks ago one side of the wing-set (which had hardened and deteriorated) broke off. The replacement part is about $24 locally.

I've used the Kreepy since then, and honestly...haven't noticed a difference in any level of performance. I've looked hard at the part and I'm stumped as to what it's function is.

I'm tempted not to replace the part...but I'd still like to know what it's supposed to do.

Here's another picture. The wing-set is (are?) the two large light-blue flaps that sit on top of the pleated round pad.

kreepy-krauly-sleated-seal.gif

Any ideas as to it's function? Am I missing something important by not replacing it?

Those are the 'wings' to help it glide to the bottom of the pool if it falls off the side. You can see it in the picture, just above the suction ring thingie. FWIW, I got rid of my KK last year and replaced it with a Polaris 360. The Polaris cleans the pool 100% better IMHO.

sammm said:
Those are the 'wings' to help it glide to the bottom of the pool if it falls off the side. You can see it in the picture, just above the suction ring thingie. FWIW, I got rid of my KK last year and replaced it with a Polaris 360. The Polaris cleans the pool 100% better IMHO.

Lesson learned...

During the past couple of weeks, we noticed our water level dropping at a rate which suggested a liner issue (a hole somewhere).

We vacuumed the pool to removed all debris...and discovered a plethora, 10 or so, small punctures in the liner around the perimeter of the pool.

Because all of them are on liner nearest the wall (within 8" or so)....we suspected...but couldn't prove...that the Kreepy Krauley somehow snagged the liner, causing the puncture.

Anyways...I spent last night in 64 degree water (brrrrr) with a patch kit...I believe I got all of 'em.

While we inspected the BOTTOM of the KK for a sharp piece which may have caused the punctures, it occurred to me this morning that without the "wing-set" the wall-crawling KK would likely at some time, have fallen off the wall and hit side-ways. The edges of the skirt are pointed...and could easily created the puncture if it had fallen on edge.

The wing-set then, would be designed to act as something of a parachute....enabling a flat-landing...rather than a side-landing off the wall.

I get it now...10 small liner patches later. Darn it...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.