question about antifreeze

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
We just used a new pool company to close our pool. They did it totally different than the last company by blowing out the lines and using very little antifreeze. The previous company charged us a fortune and did not blow out the lines. Instead they filled everything with about 85 gallons of antifreeze. In the spring when they opened our pool they flushed all of the antifreeze directly into the pool water and told us that was fine to do. The new company told me that is actually very bad for the water. Any opinions on the impact of all that antifreeze in the water?

It's much better to blow out the lines than to use all that Anti-freeze, plus it's cheaper. Also, if they use a non-toxic chemical it should be safe. However, you should try to avoid adding those chemicals to the pool if you don't have to.

#1 welcome to TFP swimu!! (I just gave your site a quick view and you seem to have the right idea :goodjob: - if you need any help with the questions you get, simply ask them here and we'll help - as long as you cross reference this site :p )

jm, Matthew is right on in his assessment of blowing out the lines and a little antifreeze being preferable to flooding the lines with the AF! It's fine to add 85 gal. of pool antifreeze to a 19,000 gal, pool - but I've always been of the mind that you simply don't add anything to the pool water that you don't have to :| A couple of well distributed gal., into already blown out lines, of AF is a 'drop in the bucket' and OK to do, but with 85 gallons, I'd try to keep the majority of it out of the pool.

Just my $.02 :mrgreen:

Updated question...part of the reason I asked about the antifreeze in the pool is because the guy who closed the pool also suggested we totally drain the pool and refill with new water because of all of the antifreeze that has been put in our pool over the last 5 years. He claims that we would use less chlorine and have an easier time maintaining sparkly water. Does this make any sense?

I think you may know the answer to your question :lol: Is your water sparkly or have you noticed increased FC demand, if not don't worry about it :goodjob: If you have I would first think it is a organic issue, rather than antifeeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.