Leaking Pool

Mar 12, 2009
:cry: A little help or advice would appreciated. We have a 18 by 36 inground vinyl liner pool.
We are losing about 1.5 inches of water a day and this is with the pump not running. I have plugged all return jets,suction ports and skimmer so there is no outlet for the water. The swimming pool light has been plugged where cable goes through the niche and new gasket put around it. The water is already below skimmer so that rules out the skimmer. Before the water got below the skimmer I went ahead and put new gasket around skimmer plate. There are no obvious seam tears. I have checked around the pool steps to make sure that all screws are tight and have dye tested all places that ports come through the vinyl liner including pool light. I have got out at the pool at night with high powered hand held lantern trying to find some little hole or tear but with no success. The temperature right now is about 65 degrees during the day. Does anyone have any experience with this type of leak. Any help would surely be appreciated. This amount of water equals about a thousand gallons of water a day.

Thanks Alot
Bill Bland

the most common place to find a tear are in the corners and coves (basically anywhere a wall meets a floor) these ares are prone to more wear because of vacuuming and brushing. get your pool as clean as possible and look for dark marks. Also if you have children that climb out of the pool not using a ladder check on the side walls for holes in the shape of a crescent moon. If you can't find anything you might have to call a professional with a electronic leak detector.

Welcome to TFP!!

To add to Kevin's great advice:

Has the pool pole fallen into the pool without the net or brush attached? In addition to the corners and seams, I'd look at the places that debris now accumulates - water flowing out of a tear will draw debris into it and mask a tear.

It may well be as Kevin said, but before spending the $ on a diver or leak detection service, I'd brush any suspect areas and visually inspect them :)

Fixed the leak. It was leaking around a patch in the deep end that had been replaced numerous times. Liners was 10 years old so we replaced it this spring with new LOOPLOC liner. Water had washed away the vermiculite and the patches would not hold for very long with no support under the patch. Thanks for all the replys

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.