air bubbles in Liquidator tubing

My DH installed the 8-gal Liquidator over the weekend, with the 3/8" upgrade from Bruce/Sal.

We have a 2-speed pump that runs during the day for 2 hours on high then 6 hours on low.

I tinkered with LQ after install and have been testing the water for the last couple days and its definitely putting chlorine in the pool, but we have air in the lines that I can't seem to make go away.

After LQ was installed, it leaked a bit a both ends, plus we could hear a slight hiss from the drilled hole with clamp just before the pump, so we adjusted the clamps at both ends a bit and that seemed to take care of the leaks and hissy noise. But the air is still in the lines. When I turn the flow meter all the way up to 5 and the 2-speed pump is on high, then they disappear for the most part though not entirely. When the flow meter is turned to 2 and the pump is on low, the whole tube gets filled with air -- both tubes from the IN and OUT, if I recall correctly. I noticed this at the end of the day yesterday after it had been running on low all afternoon.

Is this normal? If not, does this hurt the pump? Why does this happen? And how can I purge the air from the lines once and for all?

It's hard for me to envision how there could be air in the inlet tubing to the LQ but if there's air in the outlet tubing there's either a leak or there's a lot of outgassing going on (which I doubt).

Is there air in the entire line or does it begin at one of the fittings (valve, flow meter, check valve, etc.)?

As Sal said, some pictures of the setup would help.

One thing to make sure of is that the tubing ends are a good clean square cut. You can also use a dab of silicon lube when inserting them in the fittings.

Here are photos:
[attachment=2:3ad1n243]1-DSC03370.JPG[/attachment:3ad1n243]
[attachment=1:3ad1n243]2-DSC03373.JPG[/attachment:3ad1n243]
[attachment=0:3ad1n243]3-DSC03374.JPG[/attachment:3ad1n243]

The air is coming in at the line from the pool to the LQ Out. While it no longer leaks, there is still a very slight hiss on that line too. No teflon tape was used there, would it help to wrap it around the PVC and then remount the disc and clamp?

No air in the other tube that goes to the pool from the LQ In.

Yes, I have all kinds of air in the pump basket, just a little bit while running at high and a lot more while pump is at low.

Attachments

• 1-DSC03370.JPG
    1-DSC03370.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 2-DSC03373.JPG
    2-DSC03373.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 3-DSC03374.JPG
    3-DSC03374.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 97
Ok, there's a leak in the line going from the LQ to the pump suction. That's very possible.

Is there a section of that tubing that doesn't have any air in it? (I.E. from the LQ to the flow control valve, etc)

Is the flow meter full of air?

That whole side is full of air: the hose thru to the flow meter to the flow adjuster, then just a few air bubbles in the hose continuing to the OUT. On the IN side there is a small air bubble from where the hose comes out from the LQ up until the check valve, then from that point on, no air bubbles.

There should be no air in these tubes at all, right? Even small bubbles?

We used a bit (3 winds) of teflon tape on the flow meter but probably not enough. Definitely need a better seal where the drilled hole is clamped down.

I was thinking of getting the teflon paste to use instead of adding more tape, what do you think?

That helps. Sounds like you have a leak at the flow meter and/or the flow adjuster. I'd remove the tubing from both and inspect it well. Make sure it's cut square and not nicked on the side about 3/8" back from the end. Also look into the fittings to make sure there isn't any trash in there. They use an o-ring to seal against the outside of the tubing so if there's a nick or the tubing isn't square it can leak. Also if it's not pressed into the fitting far enough it will leak.

My tubing has a few bubbles in it. If you watch closely you can tell it's from the liquid outgassing in the line a little. That doesn't hurt anything but if the tubing is full of air, there's a leak somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.