Winter Cover - What Size?

Jun 4, 2010
After deciding to risk leaving my 18' Intex metal frame up all winter, I need some help. What size winter cover should I get? I wasn't sure if I should get an 18' cover or if I will need a bigger one since the water level is so low. Also, how many and what size pillows should I get? Thanks!!!

Hey there :wave:

While I have ~ no practical experience with the Intex pools, I'll tell you what I'd do for a, more permanent, AG pool.

I'd blow up and tether an 8' pillow in the center of the pool (failing to find an 8' - I'd use 2 4 or 5' pillows tied together) The pillow will help keep stress off the toprail/ walls and push water and debris out to the edges for easier removal.

A normal 18' cover has enough 'extra' to allow for the water being lowered to below the return and still have ~ 4" overlap to secure it to the sides. However, if you want to go with the next size up cover, it can't hurt anything :)

If it's feasible, try to remove any debris and all but 1- 2" of the water before the pool freezes (air pillows can pop and covers can rip over the winter) you spent time and effort to clean the pool prior to covering it, let's not waste that if something goes wrong with the cover before you open the pool :cool:

I hope you have a great winter and that we'll see you back here next spring (if not before, winter's a great time to chat with the members still here and research some new things to try next pool season! :cheers: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.