brian's pool construction

Aug 22, 2007
Powhatan VA
Hi All, and thanks to everyone for this board and the valuable info.
I am building a 20x40 IG liner pool with aluminum walls.
Equipment: Pentair WFDS-6, Triton TR-100 side mount sand filter. (Not the filter I ordered, long story), 2 lumio lights, 2" plumbing, 1 skimmer, 2 returns.

I thought I would post a couple of pictures and ask a question. Or two. :-D Here is the initial dig by Jay, the best backhoe guy ever.

DSCF0006-1.jpg

A week after the dig I had the walls set up and was ready for the bond beam pour, and we had 7 inches of rain in 5 hours. Thankfully I had no collapse but I did get 6 - 12 inches of silt in the hopper which I have just finished removing. I have re-aligned the walls and repaired the large washouts in the corners.

DSCF0018.jpg

I will re-install the steps today and fill the cracks under the walls. My helper, who has built 3 liner pools, is now in the hospital after a fall from a skimboard in Nags Head so I'm kinda on my own for now.

Question: The company where I bought the pool reccommended a vermiculite/cement bottom. I have the materials but suddenly don't have the labor to finish the bottom in 1 day. Is this something that can be done over 2 or 3 days or does it need to be done all at once ?

I will post more as I progress. Thanks again, this board has already saved me $$. 8)

Poured the 'bond beam' yesterday. I added supports to the steps, the ones that came with it just didn't seem like enough.

DSCF0021.jpg

There were 1.5 yards on concrete left on the truck, so the driver enjoyed a cool one while i nailed together a form and then he helped me finish it. He wants to do the decking on the side. I think I'll be calling him. 8)

DSCF0022.jpg

Humberto is on the way, so I might get a night off. :whoot:

Hi, Brian,

You can do the poolbottom on separate days. Simply leave yourself a nice, clean finished edge to get back to and you'll have no issues. You could even sand the joint if you wanted to. Don't kill yourself trying to make it perfectly smooth...it's impossible.

One last thing, prepare yourself for what it will look like when you turn on the pool lights. You'll swear your work was perfect and, at night, it'll look like the surface of the moon. It's the nature of the beast.

The liner is in, and the rest of the water is coming this week. Here are some pictures of the liner install. The wrinkle came out when the water got to it.

liner3.jpg

liner2.jpg

liner1.jpg

The water is quickly turning green and I need to get the filter going. (sand filter). My instructions say basically to add water over the laterals, add the sand, and fill with water. A quick search here did not turn up any more information. Does anyone have any advice about filling a sand filter the first time ?

Thanks for the forum and all the help.

Hey, Brian,

You've pretty much got it. Cover the laterals initially with water to give a little cushion when you pour in the sand. On that Triton, there should be in the manual how much freeboard (space between the top of the sand and the top of the filter) you should have....somewhere around 1/3 of the filter depth normally. That's it. If you've got plenty of water in the pool, I'd backwash the filter good to get out dirt and dust in the sand and I think you're all set. Waste (Ted) or others might have some helpful tips for you soon if you can wait for other posters.

Get some chlorine in there as soon as you can if your water's green....it'll make it easier to do it now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.