And Yet Another Line Clearing Quesion...

ted13b

May 25, 2010
Hi guys. I have an inground pool with two skimmers and one drain in the deep end. I tried blowing the lines from the skimmer with a shop vac and only got a little out. I thought I might use a utility pump to pump them out, but the line from the skimmer has sharp bends and I can't get the hose thru it. I also noticed that there is what appears to be a plug in the bottom of the skimmer...does this go into the pipe from the skimmer? It appears to have a 3/4" square inset into it...if I can unscrew it, could I pump the line thru it?

The plug in the bottom of your skimmer is an unused line for a different plumbing configuration. Leave it alone.

I have better luck blowing my skimmer from the pump end. Water goes everywhere and I don't want all that water in my pump room anyway. It will look like Old Faithful coming out of the skimmer. I just pull the union near the pump and put the blower nozzle in the exposed pipe. If your skimmers share the line to the pump, you may have to plug one to start clearing the line.

Unfortunately, both skimmers and the drain in the deep end all merge before the pump. I could block a skimmer but not the drain, unless I disconnect all the tubing, something I would rather avoid!

From one Ted to another, welcome to TFP!! :-D

Is there a plug in the second port of only the shallow end skimmer? If so, your deep end skimmer is pulling double duty and also provides the suction to the MD.

Much as I loath this sort of set-up, I find it very difficult to believe that any pool builder would not leave a way to evacuate the MD line separately!

If you can give us a little more info on this, we'll figure out a way to protect all the lines for the winter :goodjob:

They both have the second port blocked. The two skimmers and the main drain each have their own pipe running from under the pool. They then each go through an open/close valve, merge into one line, and enter the pump.

I'm probably not explaining it vey well. I have two skimmers, each with two ports in the bottom. One port on each has a plug in it. The other port of each goes thru a couple of tight bends, under the pool to the pad. The two lines from the skimmers and the line from the main drain all merge into one line which goes into the pump.

ted13b said:
They both have the second port blocked. The two skimmers and the main drain each have their own pipe running from under the pool. They then each go through an open/close valve, merge into one line, and enter the pump.

Alrighty :cool: What you want to do is blow from the pump back to the pool. Close the MD and the deep end skimmer (using the valves right there). Blow the skimmer a couple of times to insure that ~ all the water is out and then add some antifreeze to the line, from poolside, plug it. Close the shallow end valve and open the deep end one and repeat the procedure. After both the skimmers are blown out, antifeezed, plugged and the pump end valves closed, open the MD valve, blow that until it bubbles for ~ 30 seconds and close the valve WITH THE AIR STILL BLOWING THROUGH IT!

Ta-Da, all 3 lines are good for the winter :whoot:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.