cya drain

cbad

Jul 13, 2010
I am a bit mystified by my test results regarding CYA. It was my understanding that you only reduced CYA levels by draining/refilling, but not by evaporation/refilling.

This last April, my CYA was down to about 0, as it is most Aprils, so I bumped it up to about 40ppm. About a month ago, chlorine seemed to be getting burned off quickly, so I tested and it was almost down to 0 again!

I bumped it back up to 40 at that time. I tested again today and it was 30ppm. I know that the CYA test is one of the least accurate, but I'm still mystified. The way I test is pretty consistent.

I certainly didn't drain off any water. I live in SoCal, so we have a lot of evaporation, although this summer wasn't particularly hot. I do have a lot of aeration in my pool (25k/plaster).

Any ideas why I would have a constant drain on my CYA level?

Thanks!

Shut off autofill first, then determine if you have a leak. You can do a bucket test. Use a 5 gallon bucket and fill it up to the same level as pool level (put bucket in pool). If your pool level ends up being lower then your bucket water level, you have a leak. Start with that first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.