Thoughts on 2 speed pumps

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
My 2 month old sta-rite pump has become intermittently loud to the point that my pool dealer thinks that it may have a bearing problem. If indeed the pump is defective(is under warranty), I would have the opprotunity to switch to a different pump(plus or minus the cost difference). I have researched the forum and also anything else online I could find about the benefit of switching to a 2 speed pump vs. the one speed I have now. My current setup is a 14000 gal. AGP with a 1hp single speed that pulls 9 amps and has a 1hp SF. I guess its probably on the same level as an uprated 3/4 hp. I have run this pump for about 11-12 hours a day the last couple months and my water has stayed clean. I am curious what you all think about running a 2 speed and how it would perform for a days running vs. the single speed. How well would the low speed do with picking up tree trash and bugs in the skimmer? How long do you guys with 2 speed motors like to run your pumps on the low setting?

Generally you need to run a two speed motor on low speed for twice as long as a single speed pump but even so it uses between one half and two thirds as much electricity in total. You can put it on high for a little while as needed to vacuum or if you want extra water flow for some reason. The electrical savings can be dramatic.

budysr said:
Does the 2 speed do as good a job of filtering the water and picking up debris as the single speed? Assuming of course that it is run adequately.

Yes, it just needs to be run twice as long for the same turnover. Skimming is another issue. It could be better or worse depending on the pool. Lower flow rates mean it won't pass the skimmers as quickly but that could be an advantage if the flow was too fast to begin with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.