High CH here also

imcj

May 18, 2010
I was hoping to glean enough information from posts from other users to help myself without bothering any of you with my question, but I needed to clarify something. My problem is high CH. Did I read correctly that shocking will lower CH?

I've had a low salt reading on my SWG even though salt level is fine. Intex has finally helped me there and it is running well. FC number is a little higher than I usually keep it, but with no SWG for a couple of weeks I've been adding liquid chlorine and things have not been as consistent.

I did some testing today with the following results:

FC 11
CC .5
TC 11.5
CYA 100
TA 90
pH 7.2
CH 420

I have recently drained a significant amount of water and added hose water back due to the SWG malfunction. I believed it at first and added too much salt according to the salt strips that finally arrived. I am assuming that is why the CH is so high. How do I lower this?

I decided not to close my pool, so I will just be sure that my pump is running from about 2AM to 6 AM daily in the event of a freeze - which really only happens maybe once or twice in our mild winters. Does that sound reasonable?

Thank you.

imcj said:
My problem is high CH. Did I read correctly that shocking will lower CH?
:
I have recently drained a significant amount of water and added hose water back due to the SWG malfunction. I believed it at first and added too much salt according to the salt strips that finally arrived. I am assuming that is why the CH is so high. How do I lower this?
:
I decided not to close my pool, so I will just be sure that my pump is running from about 2AM to 6 AM daily in the event of a freeze - which really only happens maybe once or twice in our mild winters. Does that sound reasonable?
Shocking will not lower CH. You can only lower CH by water dilution using fill water that is lower in CH than the pool water (or you can use Reverse Osmosis to remove CH and most everything else in the water).

Your fill water may be high in CH so you should test it. Evaporation and refill increases CH over time.

Salt does not increase CH (unless the "salt" is calcium chloride -- normally when one refers to "salt" they are referring to sodium chloride). So adding salt for your SWG did not increase the CH.

As for pump running to prevent a freeze, it sounds very reasonable though you have to consider what would happen if you were to have a power outage. Since you have mild winters, the risk sounds pretty low -- similar to where we live where it only gets below freezing a few nights in the winter and even then it's not much below freezing. I don't even run the pump at night as the temp in the pumphouse stays a bit warmer and the pipes underground are kept warmer by the ground (i.e. there are no pipes exposed to the cold air directly). I do, however, have my solar system drained completely.

Thank you for the reply. I am from the desert in Southern CA, about 30 minutes from the Mexico border. Most people familiar with the desert area know the Glamis Sand Dunes. I am about 30 minutes from there as well as the Superstition mountains.

I'll let Sal answer...but you seem like a perfect candidate for reverse osmosis treatment...a service that Sal and Bruce provide and has helped many where water is less abundant :goodjob:

I spend a lot of time in El Centro for my day job! As for R/O, CH is still within limits, CYA is high, but manageable. If you are using chlorine tabs, STOP and switch to liquid. Also, no need to shut down your pool, what you are doing is fine!

Wow, you can't even imagine how much better I feel. My TF-100 instructions say that 200-300 is ideal, so I just assumed 420 was out of the ballpark. If you don't mind another question - for my own future reference, how high is considered acceptable? Truly, thank you all very much for your responses - I feel like I'm doing okay now. This site is the only reason I have any clue what I'm doing.

BTW - Do you spend much time here in our July-August weather? Yikes! Everybody tries to get out of here then! :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
imcj said:
Wow, you can't even imagine how much better I feel. My TF-100 instructions say that 200-300 is ideal, so I just assumed 420 was out of the ballpark. If you don't mind another question - for my own future reference, how high is considered acceptable? Truly, thank you all very much for your responses - I feel like I'm doing okay now. This site is the only reason I have any clue what I'm doing.
Use the Pool Calculator. Plug in all the numbers and it will tell you CSI. There will come a point when you don't have much wiggle room with pH and TA to keep it near zero; that's when you worry. Currently my pool is close to 1000 again. I'll pump some out and drown the lawn if needed. I'm hoping for a lot of rainwater dilution this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.