Converted from BaquaCrap to BBB

Sep 2, 2007
After reading both poolfourm and TFP, we decided to take the plunge and switch our 15,000 gallon cement inground pool from Baquacrap to BBB. We are into our fourth year dealing with Baquacrap. The first two years were OK - just a bit on the expensive side. Towards the end of last summer, we started having real problems with algae. This year has been a total pain - fighting algae and slime. After talking with a local company, all they could suggest was CDX (just great - yet another product to waste $$$ on).

So last Wednesday afternoon after leaving the pool place I stopped at Walmart and picked up 15 bottles of bleach. Cracked open the first bottle and started pouring. The water started turning to MountainDew - a bright green. I poured a couple of bottles at a time - waited 30-45 minutes and retested the CL level.

Luckily we had two cartridge filters, because we needed both of them. As the CL level started to rise, the color went from MountainDew to a sick looking pea soup with a nice layer of nacho cheese floating on top. It was so thick that the bottom was gone - we could not even see the first step. It was about this point that I started thinking I really screwed up. As the pea soup got worse - the fun really began. When we stopped the pump to look at the cartridge, we got our first look at BaquaGoop. The filter was a total mess. So for the next couple of hours our routine became switching the filter every 30 minutes. It literally took 30 minutes to get the filter clean, then it would be time to switch them and start all over again.

I finally got the CL close to 10ppm at around midnight, just the time I ran out of bleach. Another trip to Walmart at 12:30am and another 15 bottles of bleach. Talk about some strange looks! I didn't even bother explaining it was all for the pool. Got back home and finally got the CL to 15ppm. Ah, finally some sleep.

We had to work on Thursday, so I poured in enough bleach to go slightly over 15ppm and hoped for the best. When we got home that afternoon, the CL level had dropped to almost nothing and we had a beautiful thick layer of BaquaFuzz on the bottom. We started vacuuming to waste and got all of the gunk out of the pool. After that, it was time to clean the filter, add some more water and get the CL level back up to 15ppm. This time, the level came up much faster and with a lot less bleach.

We took off Friday so we could be around the pool and keep adding bleach when needed. It was more of the same, cleaning the filter and testing CL levels. That night, I had the CL right at 15ppm, and the water was really starting to clear up.

We awoke Saturday to the clearest pool water I have EVER seen. The CL level had stayed constant throughout the night, so it looked like the BaquaCrap had lost the fight and thrown in the towel. We kept the CL at 15ppm all day Saturday and vacuumed and cleaned the filter several times. By Saturday night, we popped in a new cartridge filter and started to bring the CL level down to a normal range.

Sunday was time to swim and forget all of the BaquaCrap headaches! Thanks to everyone who has posted such detailed information on making this switch. I would have never of tried (or believed) that simple bleach would work so well. Final tally - just over 40 bottles of Walmart's finest bleach. Also, it does take time and a lot of patience to make this switch - but after seeing the results - it has been more than worth the effort.

If you are thinking about making this switch then good luck and enjoy the results. :-D

Thanks!

Thanks all!

Without the help of this forum, I was ready to give up! All of the advice here really paid off. I decided when I started the conversion, I would stick with it until I got results. Went a little overboard on cleaning the filter (can't wait to see the water bill) but I think it really helped speed up the conversion.

Just got my Taylor test kit today - I'm sure I'll have a question or two...

Here is a picture of the pool after the conversion. It never looked this clear with Baquacil. The water is so clear now that it's hard to see the water fountain against the tile.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 278
We just completed our conversion to chlorine after three seasons of baq. My pool is crystal clear. It took us a little longer than most because I work and the temp here was 100+ every day. The pool finally cleared and we replaced the sand in our filter. I am still getting some combined chlorine (2ppm) and just shocked yesterday. Will check my number again today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Truthfully I have spent way more time and money trying to clear up my baq pool this summer. It was cloudy all summer and turned green three times. The last time it turned green it also smelled like pond water. When I started the conversion I knew that I was going in the right direction. Your pool is beautiful.

starting my conversion today

Gatorcountry,

You have given me hope that I also can do this. :goodjob: I am sick of Baquacrap too. I can't fight the algae anymore. :x How many gallons did you initially put in of bleach? Did you have your test kit when you started this? If not, how did you know that you were keeping it at 15ppm? I put in 5 gallons and was afraid that I put in too much at one time. I have only a kit that goes to 5 ppm. Will order one that goes to 15 ppm. I have a 21' AG pool with a sand filter. I hope mine goes as well as yours did.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Confused in McDonough :-D

Another satisfied chlorine user

I too made the change from Baquacil to Chlorine just this month. I'm kicking myself for not having done it sooner :)
The first summer on Baq was fine. The second summer..not as good but manageable. This season...has been a horror story! :shock: Cloudy, smelly pool. I didn't even want to get in it. Tons of $$$ on Baq products to fight that and algae etc etc... I had enough.

We have an 18' round AG vinyl. I waited until the end of the swim season so the kids wouldn't be worrying me about when could they go back into the pool. I knew that the bleach conversion method is pretty dramatic. However, since I had the extra time, I spent about 4 days throwing in non-chlorine shock (oxidizer). This helped drop my Baq levels considerably. Then I hit it with the bleach! Even with the low Baq levels, the pool went through several color changes (light Gatorade green down to muddy brown). Fortunately, I had read several posts on several different pool forums, I knew what to expect. There is definitely something to POPP :-D

It took around 12 bottles of 6% bleach to total clear up the pool. I had a residual algae bloom that I was fighting while on Baq :x . The pool is the clearest it has been since I got it summer of 2005. I love my pool again. I may even have better luck getting the wife in it next year. :wink:

Re: starting my conversion today

ptravis said:
Gatorcountry,

You have given me hope that I also can do this. :goodjob: I am sick of Baquacrap too. I can't fight the algae anymore. :x How many gallons did you initially put in of bleach? Did you have your test kit when you started this? If not, how did you know that you were keeping it at 15ppm? I put in 5 gallons and was afraid that I put in too much at one time. I have only a kit that goes to 5 ppm. Will order one that goes to 15 ppm. I have a 21' AG pool with a sand filter. I hope mine goes as well as yours did.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Confused in McDonough :-D

I started with 15 bottles the first day of the conversion. I had to run out and buy more late that night, so I would say around 20-25 bottles. It seemed way too much, but remember your goal is to get up around 15 ppm of FC - not total. I also bought a cheap test kit from Walmart that only went to 5ppm when I started the conversion. You can use one part pool water to one part distilled water, mix well, test a sample from that, read your results, and multiply by 2. Or if you need to go higher, mix it 1:2 and multiply by 3.

Just stay after the CL levels with the bleach (I was Walmart's best customer for a few days) and you'll end up with clear water and no headaches.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.