Free chlorine

shufen

Oct 30, 2010
My pool was green and after following the green pool instructions, it is turning light milky blue. I am trying to keep it at shock leve. However, when I test the FC level using the TF-100 Test Kit Chlorine Drop test - As soon as I add ONE heaping scoop of the R-870 powder and swirl to mix. The solution turns clear immediately without adding R-871 solution. I used the Chlorine Test (OTO) then the water turns red instead of yellow. I brought it to the pool store, it says the FC level is 5+. Is there anyting wrong with the TF-100 Chlorine Drop test? Thank you.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

There was probably a flash of pink when you added the powder. If the chlorine level is very high, the sample will turn clear as you saw. If you add more powder, it can turn pink/red and then you can use the titrant drops to measure. So just add more powder than just one scoop under these conditions. The extended FAS-DPD test directions here refer to this issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.