First Time Pool Closing Question Regarding Blowing Out Lines

bamm

Oct 20, 2009
I read through the posts regarding the procedure to blow out my lines. I have the general idea but need clarification on a few things:

I have a salt water inground pool with Hayward sand filter with the valve on top. I plan to use my air compressor which I will connect to the pump basket at the drain connection.

I just want to make sure that I am correct in the procedure.

1. Drain the water below all return lines
2. Put the valve on re-circ
3. Apply the air hose, with the pressure regulated to 20 psi, to the drain of the pump basket.

this is the point where I am uncertain

Do I simply watch each line blow, closest to farthest from the pump, installing a plug at each return when the water is exhausted; going on to the next, then the next, then so on?

Once I have all the return lines blown and capped will the pressure automatically direct to the skimmer and main drain to blow them out? Or, do I need to do something else for these intake lines?

Someone mentioned that once the lines are blown I reposition the valve then blow again.....could someone please explain this and the purpose?

Thanks so much for any direction on this procedure. I reviewed the previous posts and gathered a lot of information, but, I don't feel confident that I am prepared to take this on myself yet.

1) No need to lower the water that much.

2) Remove the filter drain cap and start on Rinse. This will allow you to blow the skimmer line(s) and empty the tank.

3) Use 30 Lbs. You want the extra air volume. Once the air hits the pump, it will expand and reduce it's pressure in the system.

4) Once the tank is empty and air is coming out the filter drain cap, move the multiport to Filter or Recirculate.

5) Expect the returns to blow. Then seal them as they are blowing. Then expect the bottom drain to blow.

6) Work from heater back to the pump to winterize the rest of the equipment.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
1) No need to lower the water that much.

2) Remove the filter drain cap and start on Rinse. This will allow you to blow the skimmer line(s) and empty the tank.

3) Use 30 Lbs. You want the extra air volume. Once the air hits the pump, it will expand and reduce it's pressure in the system.

4) Once the tank is empty and air is coming out the filter drain cap, move the multiport to Filter or Recirculate.

5) Expect the returns to blow. Then seal them as they are blowing. Then expect the bottom drain to blow.

6) Work from heater back to the pump to winterize the rest of the equipment.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

Are you saying to open the drain on the filter before starting to blow the lines? Wouldn't this decrease the pressure available to blow out the lines?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.