Auto Chlorinator

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
Is it possible for my auto chlorinator to get "plugged" :?: By this I mean that there appears to be no water flowing through it. I just got back in from some pool maint and checked my tab container and there seemed to be no water flowing through it. Is this possible and does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? There IS water getting returned to the pool from the pump it just doesnt seem to be going through the chlorinator ....

Tiz, They most certainly can get clogged! Yours probably is - the first attempt to fix it is to work the flow control knob from off to full a few times with the pool running. It's easier to see if it's working if the lid is off ***** NOTE - IF THE CHLORINATOR HAS BEEN SITTING WITH TABS IN IT FOR A FEW DAYS OR MORE - REMOVE THE LID AND RUN! YOU WILL SEE A YELLOW/ GREEN VAPOR COMING OUT OF IT DO NOT(!) BREATH IT, IT CAN KNOCK YOU OUT Let the chlorinator gas off for a few minutes before looking in it. If your unit is Hayward the control knob is removable, pinch the bottom of the knob and unscrew it (pinching the knob let's you bypass the 'stop'). With the knob off, you can inspect for flow or obstructions. If water flows in with the lid off, the out port is obstructed, check the tube for obvious things like pebbles or leaf fragments.

This may be enough to help, if you need more, just ask :) Hope your health is good!

Health is better Waste, thank you! I am just real tired at the end of the day ... This pool is going to be the death of me though! (joking) Im almot glad its near the end of the season,HOWEVER my wife just had me put the thermal blanket on because its going to be above normal temps here in GA for the next few days so she is hoping the water will be warm enough to swim in this weekend <- bless her heart! I will check the auto thingy tomorrow, its to dark to do it tonight and get back to you if i need any more help with it.

I have a Hayward and found that the tube inside the unit starts to scale up pretty good over time. I purchased a gun cleaning kit that has a handle and 3 different sizes of wire brush attachments. Works great for cleaning out the tube.

Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.