Return shooting out air

jasonknox

Platinum Supporter
May 4, 2010
SW Georgia
I woke up this morning to a pump starved for water. The skimmers were full of leaves (and spiders (big spiders)) so I cleaned them out. Allot of leaves fell back into the skimmer in my effort to avoid the spiders (did I mention I DO NOT LIKE SPIDERS) so I decided to clean the basket at the pump. As I broke the seal on the pump and all the water rushed out in reverse taking all the leaves in the basket with it. Confused, I put the top back on and restarted the motor, but it would not prime. I then opened the top again to a hissing noise and primed it, reinstalled the top and cut it on. It primed this time and all the leaves came back. I repeated this hole process a second time and got the same results. Once I got it running and primed the third time I decided to leave it alone. I walked out to the pool and the return jet closest to the pump had air spurting out of it while I saw no air in the top of the pump basket. The site glass on the back of the filter had no water in it either. My theory is that the filter has air in it and over time it should be expelled thus end of problem. Any other thoughts?

Your filter should have an air bleed valve somewhere on it. However, the manual for the top mount valve doesn't show one but the side mount unit does. The top mount may be self purging and if so then once all the air is out things will be fine.

Whenever cleaning the pump strainer basket you should close all suction valves so the piping doesn't drain out. Once you're done fill the basket housing with water, lube the oring and install the lid and don't for get to open the suction valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.