Fall or Spring?

compass123

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Ont. Canada
Having a new IG vinyl pool build and 680ft2 of concrete decking, what would be the advantage and disadvantage the pool being build at each season? Also won't be able to swim this fall because the it will be pretty cool in October up here.

Dennis

Dennis, welcome to TFP!! :goodjob:

A fall build will get it done soon. You won't be able to use the pool this year, but you can open it next spring and have almost immediate use. The places I've worked have always gone on a 6 week wait after backfilling, to let the fill material ~completely settle, before putting the deck down. If you wait all winter to do the deck, you can pour it at your earliest convenience. Some builders charge a little less for late season work. You have a winter, and the freezing to 'age' the pool before you've even dipped a toe in it :(

A spring build could mean not having the pool until July. You won't have a deck for 6 weeks, which means that while you can use the pool, there is a lot of dirt blowing/ getting tracked into the pool --- MUD! The yard is torn up from equipment so you have to wait until the deck is done to do any planting (not that it isn't w/ a fall build, but snow hides lots of things in the winter). If it's a diving pool, you don't get the board installed for 10 weeks :shock: (6 weeks for the deck to be able to go down and 4 weeks for the deck to cure enough to take the stress of a divingboard). On the plus side, the pool will have been running for 6 weeks and any underground plumbing problems can be solved with a shovel, rather than having to jack-hammer up a section of BRAND NEW deck!

These are just a few quick ideas, in the end - it's up to you to decide.
If you have more questions on what I've said, simply ask.
Good luck with the new pool! You know where to come for any help you need :goodjob:

My contractor said he should have the whole thing done in 2 weeks from start to finish, he also said that he is backfilling with crushed rocks and gravel and he uses wire mesh for all the concrete work. Is it necessary to wait 6 weeks for the fill to settle if we don't what would be the consequence.

Dennis

compass123 said:
My contractor said he should have the whole thing done in 2 weeks from start to finish, he also said that he is backfilling with crushed rocks and gravel and he uses wire mesh for all the concrete work. Is it necessary to wait 6 weeks for the fill to settle if we don't what would be the consequence.

Dennis

2 weeks. :lol:

Have you checked the Better Business Bureau, or Canadian equivilent? Not that it can't be done, but that would be a very tight timeline and would require various contractors to all do as promised, which also rarely seems to happen.

I'd be cautious with someone making those types of claims.

If you use a low compaction fill material (ie, sand or gravel) 2 weeks would be acceptable. I don't think that any deck installer doesn't use the 6X6X6 mesh or rebar to reinforce the crete, it's the fill material the really makes the difference on how well the deck will hold up.

Sean, I have personally installed 3 pools in 1 week! All are fine to date -- we had a very good and experienced crew (everyone knew what the others were doing and what their job was- it 'flowed') I don't claim that it's optimal to do 3 a week, but, with a good crew that knows what they're doing, it can be done without sacrificing the end product! However, please remember that we don't have the deck installed for 6 weeks - when I say 'installed', I mean going from having a grass filled backyard to a swimmable pool in less than a week.

In my area (eastern Ontario), they install sonotubes every 3-4 feet all around the pool. Those sonotubes are resting on undisterbed soil. They back fill with sand and crushstone, but its actually the sonotubes that hold up the concrete deck (or so the builder told me).

We have decided, the PB is starting this Thursday, keeping my fingers cross hope everything will go as planed,
including 850 ft2 concrete decking, 8x10 pool house, the work should be complete in 2 Weeks.

18x32 IG vinyl pool, Jandy System3 300ft2 filter, Jandy Dynaglass 1 1/2 HP pump, Larrs LJ 325,000 btu heater,
Jandy Aqua Pure Salt Chlorinator, 2 Pentair lights 500watts, 4 deck jets.

Dennis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.