Ryobi recalls cordless drills

Ohm_Boy

TFP Expert
May 1, 2007
Orlando, FL
CPSC Recall notice:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11009.html

Almost a half million drills being recalled as potential fire hazards.

You should know that if you have one of these, as I do, that while Ryobi will pay for shipping and will replace the unit, you will have to cough up the packaging for it, and you will be out a drill for a month. They say it's your tough luck for buying a Ryobi.

I am definitely pleased with it. If I had worn it out or broken it, It'd be different, but this is no fault of mine. They are telling me I can't use it, but don't care that I'm without it. I bought it because I need it. I will need it during the month that they will force me to be without it. So I'll have to buy another one just so that they can correct their mistake.

Oh, they'll give you a new one, they just don't care that you have to pack it and be without it.
The Ryobi rep with whom I spoke seemed to think I should be happy that my drill is being replaced at all, and that it should not be a concern that I would be without one for four weeks. I think that since I paid to have a drill I can use, that I held up my end of our 'bailment for hire'. They never said that it would only last for a given period. But I digress into legal-land.

Bottom line for me is that I can't be without mine for a month right now, so I cannot get mine replaced yet.

I can't believe that a man in your profession has only one drill. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they shouldn't handle things a little faster, but I'd never be caught with just one cordless drill and a backup corded one just in case.

Bama Rambler said:
I can't believe that a man in your profession has only one drill. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they shouldn't handle things a little faster, but I'd never be caught with just one cordless drill and a backup corded one just in case.

While I have an eclectic experience list, my profession is actually that of an out-of-work IT Manager/Engineer. Consequently, I do not have a lot of extremely taxing drill-work, but I do need the one I have.
I'm consulting all I can and looking for 'real' work, but I am not currently in the position to be able to purchase another one unless I line up a job that could absorb the cost. I'm also not in the position to pass up work because I don't have my drill. I'm not saying that I haven't gotten good use out of this unit, 'cause I have, but I am singularly not impressed with their handling, and certainly with the condescending attitude I got from their rep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have so much 18V Ryobi stuff its not even funny!! I was pleased with the performance and price... I've upgraded to the new lith-ion (lime green set)... I bought it wearing blinders thinking since it was RYOBI I would again get solid performance at a great price. The product is fine - in fact I love it!! I do have heartburn over paying more (in total) that higher-grade Makita sets with the same number of batteries, chargers etc... If you dont have a cordless IMPACT driver - you are missing out!! Watch your wallet :blah:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.