pump and impeller size

Oct 20, 2010
I have a waterfall pump thats 1.5 hp and it pushes so much water, you can't sit by the pool with the falls on and have a conversation. i have the valves backed almost completely off to cut the flow to a more reasonable level, but this has to be making the pump motor work harder yes? The motor has failed and i need to replace it anyway, so i was thinking maybe 3/4 hp with appropriately sized impeller or even smaller, 1/2 horse is that possible? The pump is a Jandy Stealth. Is there a listing somewhere of impeller sizes? I've not seen anything when searching Jandy parts. Thanks all.

Welcome to TFP.

I know it's counter-intuitive but closing the valves actually makes the pump work less hard. The more water a pump moves the harder it's working and the more power it's using.

Having said that if you have too much flow now and will always want less then you certainly can go with a 3/4hp motor and matching impeller to reduce the flow and amount of power used.

Ditto to what BR said.

Also, you can find a parts list on page 18 of the pump manual. To reduce HP, you only need to change the impeller but since you need to replace the motor anyway, you might as well size that correctly too. Just make sure you replace the seals at the same time. The smallest impeller you can put in that housing is the 3/4 HP full rated (1 HP up rated).

Thank you both for your responses. I'm struggling with my overly complicated and poorly engineered pool. I have had a fairly new pump motor quit for my in-floor cleaning system this week and having replaced it, am suffering now from air being pulled in from somewhere on the return side. There are no external water leaks and I don't get where it's coming from but I have the feeling it's not going to be good. So at the moment my waterfalls have taken a back seat while I try to solve this latest curve I've been thrown. Thank you again.

If you have air getting into the system you have a suction side leak somewhere. A very common place is the pump strainer basket lid. You need to remove, clean and lube it with pool lube. Another common place is the skimmer weir. If it sticks even a little it will allow the skimmer to suck air in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.