When to run pump - day or night?

Sep 17, 2010
New pool, chlorine with ozone.

The guy who did the startup set it up to run overnight, 10pm to 6am.

The guy at the pool store (same company as the builder) said that since I have ozone, it's best to run it during the day (sunlight) because that's when the ozone will be the most effective (based on the fact that the ozone does nothing when the pump is not running, of course). He recommended 10am to 6pm.

My electricity cost is not variable, it's the same rate regardless of the time of day.

Running it during the day makes sense to me - any reason that's a bad idea?

salp said:
How big is your pool? Running it during the day is fine. Not sure you need to run it that long. Where do you live?

11,500 gallon, located in Phoenix, Arizona. High temps are still in the 80s. Initial startup of this new pool was approximately two weeks ago. I planned to reduce the running of the pump to 6 hours a day at some point. Thanks!

Some more info would help. What size pump do you have? What other equipment do you have (heater, spa, in-floor cleaner, etc).? Generally the rule of thumb is that you want at least one full turnover of the water volume, but during the winter you can get by with less.

Really, 8 hours is probably far longer than you need to run your pump. In Tucson, with the water cooling off, I'll gradually bring my pump run time down from 5 hours/day in the summer to maybe 3, just during the coldest part of the night. My pool is the same size as yours, I have a full-rated 1 hp pump, and an in-floor cleaning system. By my (somewhat crude) estimates, one full turnover is just over 3 hours.

Melt In The Sun said:
Some more info would help. What size pump do you have? What other equipment do you have (heater, spa, in-floor cleaner, etc).? Generally the rule of thumb is that you want at least one full turnover of the water volume, but during the winter you can get by with less.

Pump: 1.5 (single speed)
No heater, no spa
No in-floor cleaner, just a Kreepy Krawler vacuum

I was assuming that part of the reason I'm running it so much is because it's new, and the Pebble is still curing, and the chemicals are still getting up to speed.

Please let me know if there is other info that would help, and I am SO thankful for this forum!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.