Pool closed? Pipe was not connected??

Yellowbug33

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
I paid the pool company to close my pool. I noticed this thumping type sound on occassion when I'd sit on my deck thinking it was coming from the woods somewhere. I went to check the pool equipment today and noticed it was coming from my equipment. I saw the white pvc pipe that has a screw on connector was not connected to the other end of the pipe. It was the pvc pipe to the steps and deep end and that pipe went to the heater.
Now is the closing messed up seeing how this pipe was not connected by the closers and is there air in there now or will the pipes freeze here in NY.. One I connected the white pvc pipe to the other end the occassional thumping sound stopped.
Thanks

do you have a heater or a heat pump?

that union might have been undone to let any excess water from the heater drain.

take another photo of the whole system far away and just point to the area where that union is on the picture.

Yes I have a heat pump and that pipe has never been left opened any other year. Plus I kept hearing the "dum, dum" sound.
My main concern is if I have to get them back here before the snow/freeze starts if anything got into the lines after they were blown out and antifreeze was put in. I've circled the union again in red.

Your best bet Would be to call up and ask why. My guess is that they blew the returns through that union your not going to get any rain water into that pipe since it's in a horizontal position. Also leaving that union open can help let any water left in the heat pump drain out also check that valve and plug on the drain of the filter I like to leave them open to let any water in the tank drip dry.

Anyone else have any thoughts if I need to worry. Trying to contact the pool closing company to no avail as of this date. This is why I wish i knew how to do it ourselves. Everyone talks about it in the forum but if you have different equipment or where and how to blow out lines and what area of the country. I wish someone would make a dvd showing exaclty with different climates, antifreeze. etc, blowing out the lines and cartridge filter with heat pump etc. There are just so many different ways and it is not something I want to take a chance on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.