Do I really need to have my coping reset?

wbrady

May 15, 2007
Maryland
sorry for the length of this post :oops:

I have Flagstone coping around gunite pool. The pool is only 4 yrs old. Of course the warranty is only 3 years. I noticed I had grout missing in a couple areas above the tile line and beneath the coping. I have had 2 guys out to take a look and both have many years of experience in pool building and renovation.

First guy goes around the pool tapping the coping and listening to the sound and decided that 85 of the approximate 100 stones will need to be pulled up and reset. He says we might as well reset them all at this point. Will also need to have new caulk done between the coping and patio once all the stones have been reset. He says we should do it sooner rather than later because once moisture gets in there it is possable that the tile could start to come off. Wants to charge $3200 for the whole job.

The second comes out and also taps the stones and decides that about 40 of the stones would need to be reset. He can't believe that this needs done to a 4 yr old pool(me neither). He says "its not that I don't want the work but if this was my pool I would do nothing for the next 3 yrs and then maybe have all the coping reset". He stated that flagstone is notoriuos for not binding as well as brick. Wish I would have known that 4 yrs ago.

I would like some insight on; will I do more damage if I do nothing and wait a few years? Of course I would rather not spend $3200 now, but I would also not want to spend $6000 in 2 years because now I need tile work also.

I have the original PB coming out today or tomorrow(been trying to get them out for 3 weeks). Of course they are the ones who said it was out of warranty but they would come out and give me a quote. It will be curious to see how they stand behind their product.

Thank you for any insight

Here's what I would do in this situation: Get a price "per stone" to lift and reset what is loose. That way nobody needs to guess at the quantity of stones and you will know the cost upfront. Lift the loose ones, reset them, add them up and multiply the quantity by the cost. Not much fairer than that!

Now, on to other "problems". First off, the coping is set on a setting bed that the waterline tile transitions, so there is a good chance that tile will be damaged during the process. Hopefully you have additional tile or it is still available. I would get a price on what it costs to handle the tile repairs up front so that is on the table also.

Second, horse pucky on the "binding" problem of stone or brick :evil: :evil: Use inferior material or poor workmanship and you have problems. Do the job right and there is no issue. Someone did a poor quality job and needs to be called on it. What do they suggest you use on your pool that bonds well? This material is made to set stone or brick, and we've been doing this work for years. Material has improved and is better, for the most part. I get so tired of hearing that pool tile pops off after so many years and is to be expected! Properly done work lasts a long, long time. Tile and coping, properly done, often never comes loose.

Lastly, I would charge around $18.00 per lineal foot to remove and replace waterline tile, and around $42.00 per stone to lift and reset coping. The pricing you are being quoted seems to be about right (based on S. California prices!), based on 85 stones for $3,200.00. Mastic should run around $5-$6 a foot to remove and replace.

I hate hearing what you are going through, so I hope this helps! Sure would be nice if you could prove poor quality workmanship and get the PB to have his guys handle it for you.

Thank you Bruce for the advice. I gather from your post you do not believe it is a good idea to let this go fro a couple of years?
I also hope the PB will take some responsibility. PB said he would be out yesterday or today, didn't hear anything yesterday, hope to hear something today. I will post his comments when I get them. Thanks again.

Well, there are two ways to look at it: You see it as "critical" and do it now, or you see it as what is loose is loose already and there is no sense of urgency. I tend to think that in a situation like this you aren't hurting anything, as the damage is already done! Don't let someone push you into something!

I'll keep an eye out to see how this progresses :cool:

PB came out over the weekend. He also did the stick test all the way around the pool. He said he could use the business but he would also do nothing at this point. From the stick test he determined that some stones may have hollow spots but also still attached in other spots on the same stone. His concern was that if we started pulling everything up that we may break many of the stones as parts of them were still attached. Said the caulk between the coping and deck look good and also the mortar between the stones looked good. It is just missing motar between the bottom of the coping and the tile line in a few spots. He also said he would be more concerned if the caulk was the issue and water was getting in from the back side.

Well, I have 2 out of 3 saying to do nothing. I guess I may let it ride for a couple of years and see what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.