It's officially over

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
We had a heat wave a week or so ago, and by uncovering by day and covering by night, I was able to get the water back up to 78F. But then we had days of gloom and now it's raining. Water temperature is a comfy 68F.... I think we're done with swimming for the season. :cry:

This being my day off, I started my to-do list with removing and rolling up the cover. It's wrapped up in the UV protector sheet that came with it. The foam tubes are under there too.

It's now officially over.

It never freezes here, so I don't have to worry about closing, really. And since the pool and hot tub share the same water, I get to keep it up year-round. With the cover off, I can actually see all the crud that gets blown and washed into the pool, so I know when I need to vacuum. And now I won't have to fight the cover when I do vacuum and brush.

Even if I can't get in, it still looks so much better uncovered.

Over here in Massachusetts too. Blew out the lines and buttoned up the safety cover for a long 6 month nap :cry:
Pool was a balmy 58 degrees when I closed her up. Still need to cover the heater, mutiport, etc with tarps. Probably in a couple weeks when I bring in the outdoor furniture.

Sad day here in MD as well. We had a great first season in our new pool, but it is a little sad to look out in the yard and see the pool covered and tarps on the furniture.

Certainly learned a lot over the past season, and am already looking forward to an early April opening.

duraleigh said:
Even if I can't get in, it still looks so much better uncovered.
Yeah, mine, too, Richard....even with some leaves in it I like it better than covering it.

Will you be able to get your Chemistry completely in line this winter?
I think so. CYA is about 1/3 of what it was a year ago. This morning's readings:

pH 7.5
FC 10
TC 10
TA 80
CYA 80
CH 1000

It's that Calcium that bothers me, although it is down some from its peak number. I hope we get a lot of rain this year. I intend to run my pH down around 7.2 and keep brushing the walls and hopefully more of the scale will dissolve. The hot tub is almost clear of it now, but I've been able to really scour on it with a hand brush while soaking. Anyway, if I can get that Calcium back into solution then pump it out and refill with rainwater, I'll be all set. If we don't get a lot of rain, reverse osmosis in early spring. I expect I could persuade Simicrintz to drive a little outside his usual area during the slow season if I wave enough cash at him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.