Flow problem?

Oct 20, 2010
I will appologize up front if fail to provide the needed information to assist me with this matter. I have been a pool owner for app.8 days now, so Newbie is an understatement!. I have an in ground pebble tec pool salt system with an over flow whirl pool, ( I think). I have had some people with more knowlege attempt to assist me. If I open the "main drain" valve the hot tub will fill up and over flow like it is supposed to, however there is nothing coming out of the jets in the pool. Again I do appologize for the generality of the question but I have several valves (all labeled, vacuum,main drain,spa return,skimmer etc..and I have no idea if they are supposed to be open or closed. If any one would be willing to walk me through some of this it would be greatly appreciated. I do plan on attending the "Pool School" offered unfortunately it is not available until March. Thank you in advance. Newbie in Central Florida.

Welcome to TFP.

Can you post some pics of the pool/spa and equipment pad so we can get an idea of how it's plumbed. From your description I would initially say there are some valves labeled wrong but maybe not. I'm not understanding what the main drain has to do with filling the spa unless it's the spa drain and not the pool main drain. Anyway pictures will help greatly.

Pictures would be a great help, indeed.

I went through the same thing just about a year ago. By experimentation, I figured out where each pipe went. Just shut off the pump, move a valve, turn the pump back on, and see where things start moving. My setup has two three-way valves. I can suck from spa or pool, or some percentage of each by moving the valve. Same with the outlet - I can direct to spa or to pool, or both. I also was missing the diverter in the skimmer, so I wasn't getting any flow in the drain. I remedied that, and figured out the right opening on the flap by experimentation.

Give it a month; you'll have things circulating just the way you want by then.

And since you're a newbie, here's a tip: go to TFTestkits and order up a TF100 and a speedstir. It's the best investment you will make towards your pool. You will have accurate test results on-demand, anytime, day or night, in minutes. You'll have that clear sparkling water that makes a pool so appealing. My wife's best friend brings her kids over to go swimming, even though there's a pool at their apartment; the kids - 5 and 7 - like mine better "because it's cleaner."

Tried to attach some photos of the pool and the pump, it said the file was too large. I guess I know about as much about computers as I do Pools lol. Will try again tomorrow. Thank you for the responses and the much needed assistance.

Correction, it was the "return" valve when opened the hot tub fills up and overflows like it should however when closed the hot tub almost completely drains and then I get circulation in the pool. Why would that drain the hot tub?

Welcome to TFP!!

Allow me to give you a quick primer on your set-up.

You have a pool and a spa that share a pump and filter system. By turning valves you can isolate either the pool or the spa or allow them to share the water. The way we always set up spillover spas would be to close the spa drain while keeping the spa returns open (this keeps the spa circulating and any debris blown into the spa is washed into the pool for it's skimmers to remove).

The only time we'd open the spa drain would be when we wanted to run only the spa at a high temp - at which point we'd close the suctions and returns to the pool.

While it's possible to only partially close the spa drain, so as to match the return flow to the spa, I DO NOT trust that method, as it would be possible to drain the spa and thereby damage the pump while the pool/ spa was unattended.

If you can post those pics, we'll help you figure out what controls what and tell you how to have them adjusted for the various functions you'll want to use :)

I called Pinch-a-Penny Pool service, yesterday they were great! They actually had me hang up take pics. and text them, then they walked me through it. I now have good circulation in the main pool and when the pump shuts off the hot tub does not drain. Thank you for all of your help, I am so glad I found this site as I am sure I will have questions in the future. Thanks, Brad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.