WOW, this site is awesome!

I stumbled across this site while doing research for adding/upgrading pumps and a sand filter to my Intex metal frame AGP (15x48"). This site and the things I have seen done to "cheap" AGP pools is mind boggling. So, the problem is now, I have a TON of ideas to help me and my pool out!
First, I can't seem to navigate this site very well or find follow ups to questions about cutting the liner and stuff. I would like to install a thru the wall skimmer and would like to know how it is done? I mean, usually it is installed on a pool that has some outer support on the wall (permanent AGP pool). How do you install it without any support?
Also, I am probably going to upgrade to the Intex 2100GPH pump with sand filter. It is a little big for my pool, but eventually my pool will grow. I know with the larger 2500GPH pump (633), people have cut the liner and installed the fittings that came with the pump because of the larger size. Do these fittings just attach through the wall and screw together? Do they fit so well that they don't leak?

Thanks for any help and pictures!!!

I saw those posts but didn't really see how they did the install. I mean, if you install it by the way the manufacturer states, the skimmer is just supported by vinyl. I noticed the first post had built a support for his. Is the ultra frame pool liner any different than the standard metal frame pool? I think I might have to build a support when I install mine.

I think I found the answer to the larger fittings through the wall for the pump, that looks pretty straightforward. I guess all I need to do now is order my upgrades and go for it!

Right now my pool is green, cart .filters got to be too much trouble and I got tired of changing them. I want to go to sand for filtration. I have an Intex SWG so that works pretty well when the filter does too.

I think I am going to drain my pool at this point, install everything, hard plumb it and wait till next year. I have a few frame and leveling issues to deal with too.

Haulinbass02 said:
I saw those posts but didn't really see how they did the install. I mean, if you install it by the way the manufacturer states, the skimmer is just supported by vinyl. I noticed the first post had built a support for his. Is the ultra frame pool liner any different than the standard metal frame pool? I think I might have to build a support when I install mine.

I think I found the answer to the larger fittings through the wall for the pump, that looks pretty straightforward. I guess all I need to do now is order my upgrades and go for it!

Right now my pool is green, cart .filters got to be too much trouble and I got tired of changing them. I want to go to sand for filtration. I have an Intex SWG so that works pretty well when the filter does too.

I think I am going to drain my pool at this point, install everything, hard plumb it and wait till next year. I have a few frame and leveling issues to deal with too.

Hauinbass02,

The skimmer conversion is easy. Before I started the conversion I thought the liner would not hold up. I was wrong. This is the process I used to mount the skimmer.

1. I took the trim ring to the skimmer and placed it on the inside of the pool where I wanted to mount the skimmer. Once it was in the right spot I just maked all the holes with a marker.

2. With the holes marked I then took one screw and put it through the liner so I knew where the skimmer houseing was going to be placed. The screw was used as a guide.

3. Once the skimmer houseing was in the right position I removed the screw while still holding the skimmer houseing on the outside of the pool.

4. I took the skimmer trim ring from the first step and placed it back to location lining up all the holes I marked with the marker.

5. While the skimmer houseing and the trim ring were in place I then just screwed in all the screws throught the trim ring into the skimmer housing createing a sandwich with the liner in the middle.

6. Once the skimmer was mounted I just cut the liner from the inside of the pool along the inside edge of the skimmer opening.

The process is very straight forward. I thought I would have to support the skimmer because of the weight. The skimmer has been on for about 2 months now and have had no problems. The liner for the intex pools are stronger than the liners for regular AG pools. The metal walls on AG pools support the weight of the water so the liner can be thiner. The liner on the intex pools have to be stronger because there is no support for the water.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I listed the part number of the skimmer I used in my post above.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/upgraded-plumbing-and-thru-wall-skimmer-for-intex-pool-t26835.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.