Accident with leaving water on - leaked behind liner

J_L_D

Jul 1, 2010
Madison, MS
I'm hoping someone can tell me I didn't ruin my pool. Water level was below the skimmer, so I threw a hose in it to raised it maybe 6" or so. Had planned to check it in a couple hours but totally forgot about it and it ran all night...about 10 hours.

I had done something similar before and it filled up to the top of the liner, and evidently the overflow went under the coping and apron because the lawn was saturated adjacent to the pool. But since then, I have evidently developed a hole, that has gotten bigger over the last couple months (I suppose I need to get it sealed, and was getting ready to come up with a plan for that). It is normally above the water line,up high in a corner, and the opening is about the size of a baseball. It is sort of stretched a bit off the wall there so it sort of gapes, and I can see insulation behind it.

So I wake up at 5:30 this morning and sit up straight when I remember the hose. When I went back out after sunrise, I see that the water is murky/darker and in several places there are wrinkles in the liner. At one of my lights, there are about 3 wrinkles 6" apart in half circles below it. Then also at places where wall meets floor on slope to deep end, etc...

This is my first pool, it's about 5 years old from what i'm told, and 18x36 Mountain Lake. Everyone here helped me turn it from swamp to sparkling oasis...did I ruin it now? I never, ever would have though leaving a hose on would damage a pool, but is it true?

There is literally no way to know how much water I dumped, and possibly ran behind the liner, but it might have been 6,000 gallons or even more. It has been exceedingly dry here for months with very little rain... what can I expect when I get home and in the future? Where do I go from here...I know I've got to get all my chemestry correct again...

what a pain...
Thanks.
Jim

I think I dodged a bullet. Before I left, I put 4 times as much clorox in, and pumped/backwashed it down below the level of the liner hole (which is still above the top of the skimmers. When I got home, the water looked good (way high ph, good chlorine). Plus, it appears that most if not all the wrinkles are gone. Evidently the water soaked into the earth and hydrostatic pressure in the pool evacuated the remainder. I can't tell for sure until sun is out good but I'm way better off than I thought. Learned some valuable lessons... don't overfill - fix the hole!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.