New Concrete Block Pool Build

tjmnm

Oct 17, 2010
Hello everybody, new to these forums. Looking to do a new pool build in Northern Nevada next spring. I have been checking into all the different build options and believe I have settled on concrete block, main reason is I will be doing all of the labor myself with the exception of the electrical, and I am completely comfortable with block and tile work.

My plan so far is to use the Besser style blocks for the walls (like the ones in the link below) with the E Blocks at the bottom to tie walls and floors together. I plan on completely waterproofing the interior shell with this http://www.sanitred.com/SwimmingPool.htm then fully tiling the walls, and using a two part epoxy paint finish for the bottom.

My plans also include an inground spa just off the pool built in the same fashion, running obviously on the same equipment.

I am leaning towards this system as opposed to a vinyl liner mainly due to being in the tile industry, lends me to be able to do some pretty high end custom stuff for a lot less money than even the liner.

block link-- http://www.clearwater-pools.co.uk/construction/kits/example/construction_example_concrete.html

What do you guys think about this type of installation idea? I understand that I will be emptying and reapplying the pool bottom paint, fixing any cracking tiles, and maybe re-waterproofing any cracks etc every 3-4 years, but that just doesn't seem like to big of a trade off for the savings I can get from being able to do 95% of the initial labor myself.

*edit* I guess I should have added, it's a pretty straight forward 14x28 rectangle

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, welcome to TFP!!

As far as I can tell, your plan sounds good :goodjob:

I'd look for Duraliegh's input, he built his IG pool with block walls, but linered it.

Also check out the longest thread here Concrete Pool Up North wherein Mats describes his masterful build!!!

There are a lot of folks here who have 'been there, done that and wrecked their cloths doing it' :lol: We'll all proffer our advice as you make your dream pool a reality :cheers:

Hi, Jason,

If you don't want to mess with a liner and you seem comfortable with tile, would you consider tiling floor and walls? There would be no need to waterproof anything if you used epoxy thinset and it would make a beautiful pool. It seems like a lot5 of pools in Europe are tiled completely.

That was my first idea, however we have had the opportunity to swim in a couple of different pools since beginning our planning process, one of them being a tiled bottom pool and I just wasn't a fan of the feel under foot, the best feel in all honesty (next to the vinyl liner one we used) was one that had the epoxy paint surface, it was softer than regular plaster, but not slick at all, almost rubbery which was comfortable.

I guess I should add I don't plan on much of a deep end, it isn't going to be a diving pool at all, more recreational. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at doing 4' on each side sloping to a modest 5' at the center drain design. Looking at more, light swimming and watersports like volleyball etc.

Tiles on the walls only sounds like a good plan, then. I would still consider using epoxy thinset rather than carrying the waterproofing up the walls. I'm not sure you would get an adequate bond from the waterproofing to the thinset if you did it the way you're thinking.

Yeah epoxy thinset and epoxy grout are definitely the way I'm leaning, interesting though, that Sani-Tred waterproofing company totes being able to set tile in their LRB/TAV mixture for a full waterproof bond. Think I might order some and do a little testing to see what kind of bond can be achieved, if it does bond well it might be a good route, though obviously more expensive than straight epoxy thinset.

Thanks for the input guys, I have been over studying the heck out of this stuff for the last couple of months, good to know the infrastructure I have come up with makes sense to those who already have the experience.

For my 13 x 26 concrete block pool, the procedure seemed pretty close to what you outline, minus the E blocks. The steel for the bottom was laid first,then the bottom was poured, and came up through the blocks on the way up. It was plastered with mortar, then a waterproofing membrane was brush applied, then diamondbrite on top of that. Been 6 months and not a leak so far. But some people feel diamond brite finishes to be too coarse for their liking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.