Pool pump

Oct 16, 2010
Rocklin, California
I am new to this forum so I apologize if this is not in the right area.

I am thinking about buying a variable speed pool pump. My PG&E power bill is out of control (500-700 a month). I am wondering if buying a variable speed pump would help and if so what would be the best size, kind for me. My pool is 22,000 gallons and it is 5 years old. I do not have solar or a heater and don't plan on getting them.

I have the following pool pump:

Sta-Rite, 3/4 HP, KW .75, RPM 3450, model P6E6D-205L (motor model K48K2PA105C1)

I also have the following pump for the sweep:

Century Pool-Spa, 3/4 HP, 3450 RPM

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Welcome to TFP.

The first thing we need to know is what are your run intervals? (how many hours a day do you run each pump)

You can try running them less if you're running them a good number of hours a day.

That pump shouldn't draw more than about 1.2 kw and with 5 hours/day, that would be about 180 kwh. Even if you are in tier 4, that shouldn't be more than about $72/month for the pump. The booster maybe $40/month (~100 kwh). Sounds like you have something else which is using a lot of power. AC perhaps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.