Burning out a heater using SWG--eek!

sbnslp

Oct 16, 2010
My above ground, indoor exercise pool just blew out its heater. The Hayward people said the heat exchanger was damaged through the Aqua Trol SWG that were both made by Hayward. Is there anyone else with this issue? My pool guy uses only the sticks for chemical checking and I had heard that Ph issues can cause damage. He swore all was balanced but I now have a broken heater. Now I am not sure about replacing the heater and keeping the SWG or giving up on SWG which I really like....this is annoying and expensive...any help or condolences??? Thanks.

That is the key question right there.
I have heard many many times that if your chlorine source (SWG, erosion feeder, etc) is setup before the heater, the very-high level of chlorine at that point going through the line will damage your heater.

sbnslp,

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Please answer Strannik's question as it makes a big difference. The SWG is supposed to come after all equipment, including the heater:

Strannik said:
is your heater installed before the SWG, after the SWG or in parallel to SWG?
As for an SWG increasing the risk of corrosion of a copper heat exchanger:

vln said:
The SWG did not corrode the heater! If anything a SWG, raises the ph to being more basic, not more acidic.
It is not just a low pH that can increase the rate of metal corrosion, but also increased electrical conductivity from the higher salt level. Though the rate of increase would be small, it could push any marginal heat exchanger over the edge and is why some manufacturers recommend keeping salt levels lower (< 2000 ppm so not using an SWG) or using cupro-nickel or titanium heat exchangers.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.